Retro Build - Brake Pads

Matttymm

Gold Trader
Marin Fan
Feedback
View
Hello All

Please can you assist with some advice of brake pads.

I’m rebuilding a 1995 Marin Team Titanium.

I’ve got some Mavic 231 CD rims. The bike currently has Marin Lite cantilever which I may change out to Shimano M900

Which would be the best brake pads. The XTR seem good but very expensive. Surely technology has moved on ?

Advice gratefully received. Thanks. Matt

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201023-212514_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201023-212514_Gallery.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 354
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Yeah thank you.

I’ve read a bit and Kool Stop keeps coming up.

The salmon ones get good comments for anodised rims.

Don’t know if they’re any good and how they compare to XTR

Re:

If it were me, I'd look for a set of cartridge pad holders that will work with your chosen brakes. You can then choose the inserts you need and when the pads wear out, slide out the old, pop in the new. M900 and m737 brakes came with these as standard, modern alternatives are available.

Koolstop are the best I've used. Last long, stop better in the wet, don't shred your rims and are reasonably priced. Shimano pads wear very quickly in the wet, with the exception of XTR, which take chunks out of your rim instead.

Hello All

Please can you assist with some advice of brake pads.

I’m rebuilding a 1995 Marin Team Titanium.

I’ve got some Mavic 231 CD rims. The bike currently has Marin Lite cantilever which I may change out to Shimano M900

Which would be the best brake pads. The XTR seem good but very expensive. Surely technology has moved on ?

Advice gratefully received. Thanks. Matt
Hi

if you’re swapping out the Marin lite brakes I’d love to buy them from you. My team titanium of similar vintage serviced yesterday and the bike shop guy was so vexed by the corrosion on the brakes he pretty well refused to service it again. I ride it every day and lockdown prevented a service last year.

so if you’re willing?

kind regards

john

Back