ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Any help appreciated
I’ve tried to attach the cable guide under the Bottom bracket Of the Raleigh Dynatech but the hole is too wide - so can’t attach it with the cable guide I have
Am I missing something? Or are there different bolt sizes for this?

Cheers

Re:

sometimes they have cable guides that just clip in as opposed to a screw in version.

Is it an original part to the bike?

Re: Re:

retrobikeguy":2aeii40p said:
sometimes they have cable guides that just clip in as opposed to a screw in version.

Is it an original part to the bike?
I’m
Not sure whether it is - Carambakid sold the Dynatech decade to me and this was a part of the package - it wasn’t fitted but came in a Small plastic Bag with the bolt - which is too narrow.
There’s a hole under the BB which this would fit into - the BB also has some marks which show that such a thing was fitted before.
I’m wondering whether the hole is threaded or not - doesn’t seem like it is but I’m not too sure.

Clip on ones ? That’s interesting - I’ll see if I can read up on them

Re: Re:

retrobikeguy":1mavciva said:
I’m bidding on that but I fear the Clip won’t be wide enough for the hole
I can’t finish the build until I sort this problem out
I decided to stick the cable guide using some double sided tape - but the double sided tabs I bought won’t stick on the underside of the bottom bracket - they fall off.

Any ideas about what brand tape would actually stay stuck and not fall off when wet neither ?

Or any other ideas ? Maybe I’m missing a shim or a washer or some internal nut or another part - the hole at the base of the bottom bracket is wide enough to attempt to screw in a Crank bolt! Which I guess is a M18/20
Whereas the bottom bracket plastic cable guide Screw is usually an M5
Here’s a pic a took last night in the dark garage

Attachments

• AEF9C316-A38F-4BE4-9B5F-13950304539E.jpeg
    AEF9C316-A38F-4BE4-9B5F-13950304539E.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 639
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

that is a big hole :?

What about double sided carpet tape or gorilla tape?

Or a couple of dabs of glue, you can just warm it up if you ever want to remove it, and the cable tension will help hold the guide on. also.

Re:

Well, I have two suggestions.

one is a faff but a proper job

the other is a fix and quick

proper job - I suspect it had a guide with a large split plastic pillar clip which went in the hole. But you would need OEM to get another.

It might have had a threaded spring clip in it - a thin spring metal clip with a hole in it, made by folding a piece of spring steel over. After this is clipped in the hole, a self tapper then screws the cable guide in. Like this:

https://www.onlinebearings.co.uk/SLM6-6 ... -Clip.html

Or, a bespoke brass screw collet like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/293161890474?c ... gIrUPD_BwE

Both of those will be a faff to find and fit properly.

A quick fix is clear silicone - the stuff you use in the bathroom. Degrease both surface, leave to dry. 1mm smear of silicon, press in the right place, leave 24 hours to cure and you have a waterproof, tough joint. Done.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
the screw should make a part of the guide expand and it grips in that fashion a bit like a wall plug

Thank you for this - excellent advice
I did find an original Raleigh part with clip on eBay - which I’m considering https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164381469118 but again the Clip may not expand enough as it looks worn - the Peugeot one in bidding on looks similar - - only a few quid but it’s a risk - so will only try one.

The glue option sounds good - I’m wondering which glue would be ideal -

The silicon option sounds excellent - would I plug the hole with the silicon and screw directly into the hardened material or use it to glue the guide on?

The spring steel clip - installing that inside the bottom bracket would be quite complicated - same with the brass socket - that would be ideal (as you said) definitely - but again haha! A faff to fix

I did consider an expanding anchor bolt or some such - but their lengths are too long -

Or a threaded/normal washer on the inside or outside secured by a nut
All a pain - I wonder why the hole is so large? I should ask a former owner.

So a quick fix - either silicon or glue - IF the cable guide I’m bidding on with the expanding clip fails to work - which out of Out of these ?

Thanks again guys - this build has taken me months - and I’m fed up with it - last night I was on the verge of just putt into it up for sale as a nearly completed project

Back