Am I being unreasonable?

sinnerman":2dusu1k9 said:
I think dragging it out now during a Pandemic to go for a jolly (as so many have). Seeing seized and/or damaged bearings/cases, and thinking hang on, its suppose to have a lifetime warranty, is more than unreasonable, its a bit of a piss take.

But to be fair, this is whats wrong with the world.

When something has been neglected, its always easier to find others to blame. Of course your bearings should LAST FOREVER. :facepalm:
Wow! That's pretty harsh on the OP. I don't think he comes across as that unreasonable at all. If he was that unreasonable, he wouldn't be questioning whether he's being unreasonable. After all, it was sold with a lifetime warranty on the bearings and, for all we know, sales staff at the time might have made quite a selling point of that.

Now, Marin admit that it was a mistake to offer that warranty. At least they're being honest about it. They're not claiming that the Marin Bikes of today is not the same company as the Marin Bikes of 2004. They're not saying that the 'lifetime' in question is five years, ten years, fifteen years or whatever. They're saying it wasn't 'realistic' to offer that warranty or, in other words, an honest mistake was made. Not ideal, but it happens.

However, it opens the door for dishonest 'mistakes': companies offering warranties as a selling point and fully intending to water them down a few years down the line. Furthermore, 'lifetime warranties' are, I feel, deliberately vague and labelled as such in the full knowledge that unwitting, unquestioning consumers will think the warranty is for their own lifetime rather than the lifetime of the product. Or they will think that it's for the lifetime of the product, defined as 'as long as it lasts for', not 'as long as the manufacturer says it should last for'. The 'lifetime warranty' is clearly a selling point but I think businesses exploit its vagueness in the interests of sales.

Personally, I would not pursue Marin for the £40 bearings but, equally, I think that the law should clarify when the phrase 'lifetime warranty' can be used because, at the moment, it's open to multiple interpretations.

CassidyAce":1pj4r6ze said:
sinnerman":1pj4r6ze said:
I think dragging it out now during a Pandemic to go for a jolly (as so many have). Seeing seized and/or damaged bearings/cases, and thinking hang on, its suppose to have a lifetime warranty, is more than unreasonable, its a bit of a piss take.

When something has been neglected, its always easier to find others to blame. Of course your bearings should LAST FOREVER. :facepalm:
Wow! That's pretty harsh on the OP. I don't think he comes across as that unreasonable at all. If he was that unreasonable, he wouldn't be questioning whether he's being unreasonable. After all, it was sold with a lifetime warranty on the bearings and, for all we know, sales staff at the time might have made quite a selling point of that.

Now, Marin admit that it was a mistake to offer that warranty. At least they're being honest about it. They're not claiming that the Marin Bikes of today is not the same company as the Marin Bikes of 2004. They're not saying that the 'lifetime' in question is five years, ten years, fifteen years or whatever. They're saying it wasn't 'realistic' to offer that warranty or, in other words, an honest mistake was made. Not ideal, but it happens.

However, it opens the door for dishonest 'mistakes': companies offering warranties as a selling point and fully intending to water them down a few years down the line. Furthermore, 'lifetime warranties' are, I feel, deliberately vague and labelled as such in the full knowledge that unwitting, unquestioning consumers will think the warranty is for their own lifetime rather than the lifetime of the product. Or they will think that it's for the lifetime of the product, defined as 'as long as it lasts for', not 'as long as the manufacturer says it should last for'. The 'lifetime warranty' is clearly a selling point but I think businesses exploit its vagueness in the interests of sales.

Personally, I would not pursue Marin for the £40 bearings but, equally, I think that the law should clarify when the phrase 'lifetime warranty' can be used because, at the moment, it's open to multiple interpretations.

Its Not harsh at all, he asked a question, and it was answered, some will want to blow smoke up an ass, some will sit on the fence, and some will answer looking at both side of the fence. I think my was the last opinion.

your right, but again you, yourself have made an interpretation of the word "Warranty".

and fluff it up as you will, lack of use and maintenance isnt covered.

Re:

sinnerman":34upd49k said:
. . . thinking hang on, its suppose to have a lifetime warranty, is more than unreasonable, its a bit of a piss take.

A guy is wondering whether to make a fuss over his warranty. How is THAT what's wrong with the world?

The warranty vs guarantee distinction only has a bearing (no pun intended) in this case if we assume that Marin Bikes is no longer in business. Marin, themselves, are not asserting that.

Last, I wouldn't assume that the bike is neglected or poorly maintained just because it's the OP's wife's bike.

I understand your concern for struggling bike companies, and Marin has done nothing to me other than produce bikes I enjoy riding, but are you being harsh on the OP? Damn right you are. He should be able to ask about his consumer rights and whether he's being unreasonable without someone telling him that's what's wrong with the world.

Re: Re:

CassidyAce":218pfixo said:
sinnerman":218pfixo said:
. . . thinking hang on, its suppose to have a lifetime warranty, is more than unreasonable, its a bit of a piss take.

A guy is wondering whether to make a fuss over his warranty. How is THAT what's wrong with the world?

The warranty vs guarantee distinction only has a bearing (no pun intended) in this case if we assume that Marin Bikes is no longer in business. Marin, themselves, are not asserting that.

Last, I wouldn't assume that the bike is neglected or poorly maintained just because it's the OP's wife's bike.

I understand your concern for struggling bike companies, and Marin has done nothing to me other than produce bikes I enjoy riding, but are you being harsh on the OP? Damn right you are. He should be able to ask about his consumer rights and whether he's being unreasonable without someone telling him that's what's wrong with the world.

Then Why Ask.... :facepalm:

sinnerman":jjfg81y4 said:
ovlov440":jjfg81y4 said:
Hi all

My wife has a 2004 Marin Attack Trail (the Whyte designed one with the multi pivot swingarm). When sold this came with a lifetime warranty on the bearings.

The bearings in my wife's bike have all failed. I emailed Marin UK and the response I got back was this:

Thank you for reaching out to Marin Bikes unfortunately we no longer offer a lifetime warranty on the bearings. This is something that was changed around 2012. Bearings are considered wear items and we had to adjust the policy as a lifetime warranty on bearings is just not realistic. The best thing to do would be to work with your local bearing distributor to get the correct size. The size of the bearing should be printed on the bearing seal. Enduro bearings make great bearings and have worldwide distribution.

Now, a set of bearings for this is around £40. However, am I right in my thinking that a warranty is a warranty - it cannot be retrospectively removed or changed. I can understand why Marin don't warranty for life the bearings NOW - but that doesn't change the fact that the bike I have WAS sold with that warranty.

£40 is not the end of the world however it is more an issue of trust - if Marin (or anyone) is willing to disregard a previously given warranty then where does it leave trust in the manufacturer?

And the initial question you asked was, "are you being unreasonable".

I would think any thing that has been stood in a cold damp dark shed garage or lock up mostly unused for the length of time you have mentioned, will see natural deterioration.

Given its your wifes bike, and I'm guessing largely unridden for most of its life, its to be expected that without use, and due care and attention, these items will deteriorate.

You make a MASSIVE assumption about both the bike and my wife. The bike is and has been regularly ridden by her, an extremely capable biker both on and off road, and maintained by me an ex mechanic and manager of 2 cycle shops. The question I asked was a genuine one, and the tone of your response was in no way justified.

ovlov440":39mwzw6g said:
sinnerman":39mwzw6g said:
ovlov440":39mwzw6g said:
Hi all

My wife has a 2004 Marin Attack Trail (the Whyte designed one with the multi pivot swingarm). When sold this came with a lifetime warranty on the bearings.

The bearings in my wife's bike have all failed. I emailed Marin UK and the response I got back was this:

Thank you for reaching out to Marin Bikes unfortunately we no longer offer a lifetime warranty on the bearings. This is something that was changed around 2012. Bearings are considered wear items and we had to adjust the policy as a lifetime warranty on bearings is just not realistic. The best thing to do would be to work with your local bearing distributor to get the correct size. The size of the bearing should be printed on the bearing seal. Enduro bearings make great bearings and have worldwide distribution.

Now, a set of bearings for this is around £40. However, am I right in my thinking that a warranty is a warranty - it cannot be retrospectively removed or changed. I can understand why Marin don't warranty for life the bearings NOW - but that doesn't change the fact that the bike I have WAS sold with that warranty.

£40 is not the end of the world however it is more an issue of trust - if Marin (or anyone) is willing to disregard a previously given warranty then where does it leave trust in the manufacturer?

And the initial question you asked was, "are you being unreasonable".

I would think any thing that has been stood in a cold damp dark shed garage or lock up mostly unused for the length of time you have mentioned, will see natural deterioration.

Given its your wifes bike, and I'm guessing largely unridden for most of its life, its to be expected that without use, and due care and attention, these items will deteriorate.

You make a MASSIVE assumption about both the bike and my wife. The bike is and has been regularly ridden by her, an extremely capable biker both on and off road, and maintained by me an ex mechanic and manager of 2 cycle shops. The question I asked was a genuine one, and the tone of your response was in no way justified.

Ah well there you are then. Although given your previous positions, experience and diligence, im surprised you felt the need to post the thread.

Im surprised with your experience, you wouldn't know the process or the answers, c'est la vie.

Good luck with Marin Mountain bikes then. ;)

Is the OP being unreasonable? Yes and No imo.

It's probably not reasonable to expect 16 year old bearings to be covered by a global bike company - regardless of what promises were made, but stranger things have happened so no harm in asking either.

Would I further pursue them over £40 worth of bearings? No, my free time is worth more than that. At most, I might reply expressing my disappointment as that has occasionally surfaced some kind of concession or gesture of good will from other companies. Some customer service systems work on the basis that the vaguely persistent customer can be offered a small gesture without having to escalate.

Re:

I'm surprised it took at least 8 years for Marin to realise that offering a lifetime warranty on bearings was unrealistic :shock:

Alternatively, I would have written a topic of praise here on this forum. It's awesome Marin delivered you a full suspension bike with bearings that lasted sixteen years before the first change. Despite being ridden regularly. I think that's a pretty amazing bike quality you got there provided by Marin.

Re: Re:

manitou916":l53ta0m9 said:
I'm surprised it took at least 8 years for Marin to realise that offering a lifetime warranty on bearings was unrealistic :shock:
I don't think it did. The 2005 documents only have a limited warranty.

What's unreasonable, someone expecting a lifetime warranty to be honoured
a global company changing terms and not honouring (and so possibly miss-selling, depending how it was phrased and marketed) a warranty.
Personally, the last one is what is wrong with the world.
big people picking and having control over the little people, changing their minds a a whim and not giving a toss.
It depends which side you want to be on.

If that was a bank, changing its interest rates and saying you have had no interest for the last 10 years or selling you ppi to cover a loss. Would you still say, that's ok, it been a while, I shouldn't have expected it to last or what you said it was.

Back