wide(r) bars for retro mtbs

gmtfd

Devout Dirtbag
Just wondering what people think about the idea of running a wider flat bar on a retro MTB?

I'm completing my first retro build and haven't ridden it yet, but not sure how I'm going to get on with the 585mm bars. All my other bikes are 700 - 720mm.

Martin from Second Spin Cycles runs 635 - 685mm bars on his retro bikes:

https://www.secondspincycles.com/2020/0 ... m-phoenix/

Then of course there's the problem of getting hold of such a thing in 25.4. The only one I've found so far is Chinese carbon ... ulp.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-4mm-UD-Ma ... SwO9Zeq1wc

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hello mate>

I run a Y2K Kona with a fairly short 70mm stem and 725mm low rise bars and it feels amazing. I wouldn't want to go any wider personally, I dont think its needed with the smaller 26" wheel size. Depending on your height I'd def try a shorter stem too but older bikes dont have the reach of modern stuff so you cant go too short unless your a very short person. I tried a 40mm stem on my Kona and it was great on downhills but climbing was shocking :D

Heard good and bad things about those Chinese carbon bars. I wouldn't go near them to be honest.

Re:

Why not run a 31.8 stem as well as wide bars? Nothing wrong with that in my book, and a world of options for bars will greet you.

Re:

I have to admit I really like the clean look of those old school bars, with no big bulge in the middle. But maybe I will end up being forced down the 31.8 route, if Chinese carbon is the only alternative!

Same as a lot of things, its just a case of time to get used to them. Of course going from one straight to the other will feel alien but give them time, everyone is different, and you will soon get used to them and their handling characteristics.

There are a few retro bars over 600mm you could try, some use the bar extenders which from memory are 20mm. There are modern 25.4 straight bars that are over 700mm but you tend to have to pay top price as they are favored by singlespeeders/couriers etc.

Re:

I need some wide bars also,for an Intense m1 build,maybe not strictly pre 1997 more 2000,but they still need to be 25.4 and as wide as possible,i would like 700 plus

Re:

I would get those bar extenders, but they're not going to work with bar ends, and I love my bar ends! Is there such a thing as bar ends that insert into the ends of the bar, instead of clamping onto them? I run Ergon GS3s / GP3s on my modern bikes but they'd look out of place on a retro build.

585mm wideboy,
Fit them, use them and see how you go.

If you ride them for a while along with a normal for the time setup (130/135mm stem for average rider), you soon get used to it and wonder why you ride such wide bars on modern things...
of course switch over and after a while you get used to that.
Different style bikes, different front end height, wheels etc.

Try it, you don't know what you are missing. :xmas-big-grin:

585mm was quite a wide bar back in the early 90s, 560mm was probably more normal. (or less after a few barend-crimping-cutoffs ;-))
(and then added bar ends, clamped... and yes you can get in the bar cinch types, or at least you could.)

So try it, you can always change afterwards.

Re: Re:

gmtfd":18rgegri said:
I would get those bar extenders, but they're not going to work with bar ends, and I love my bar ends! Is there such a thing as bar ends that insert into the ends of the bar, instead of clamping onto them? I run Ergon GS3s / GP3s on my modern bikes but they'd look out of place on a retro build.

There was as I had a set. They worked as you imagine and fastened in the bar with a set up a bit like a quill stem. I suspect they weren't terribly popular, probably because of weight.

Back