Which Cannondale is this?

FiveAlpha

Retro Guru
This might not qualify for this forum, the limit being 1997 - I think this might be from 1998, but forgive me!

I picked this bike up yesterday - it has no model number on it, and very little in the way of any writing. The spec fairly closely matches the 1998 F700 (Mavic 221 rims, Deore LX rear mech, CODA chainset), but as you can see, it is an 'F' frame, but has no suspension.

I can't find any catalogue scan, where this setup is shown. There are 'M' series with P-Bone forks, or 'F's with Headshok.

Does anyone know? Thanks

Attachments

• Cannondale01.jpg
    Cannondale01.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 406
Re:

There should be a serial number on the bottom bracket shell, if you go to www.Vintagecannondale.com you should be able to find the tear from the first letter of the serial number.
It kind of looks like it may have had a Headshock at one point?

Re:

Okay, so it is from June 1997, but I still can't find any bikes with Headshok frame and a factory fitted rigid fork? The colour is a very dark petrol green/blue.

It is an F series frame with Coda A381/EBO adapter cups, Diatech headset and P-Bone rigid fork.

Attachments

• Coda Reducer Cups.jpg
    Coda Reducer Cups.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 342
  • reducer cups types.gif
    reducer cups types.gif
    52.5 KB · Views: 342
Stop Thief.................... :shock:

Attachments

• Cannondale01.jpg
    Cannondale01.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 328
superba":3kqbd5y2 said:
It is an F series frame with Coda A381/EBO adapter cups, Diatech headset and P-Bone rigid fork.

Thanks - that's exactly what it is. What I don't understand is why it looks like it came from the factory like that? The forks are the same colour as the frame, which I doubt could be done outside Cannondale's paint shop, and it hasn't had a respray? Did Cannondale sell them like this, in any country/region?

sinnerman":won5gv7y said:

Haha! I see you've noticed my big red bike lock key!

Don't worry, I have the original receipt from the woman I bought it off, and she spent 25 minutes looking for the key for the frame lock, despite my saying it wasn't a problem!

So, that just leaves 'the beast'.

FiveAlpha":2u7mr848 said:
sinnerman":2u7mr848 said:

Haha! I see you've noticed my big red bike lock key!

Don't worry, I have the original receipt from the woman I bought it off, and she spent 25 minutes looking for the key for the frame lock, despite my saying it wasn't a problem!

So, that just leaves 'the beast'.

Its a Caad 2 F series, it looks like a mid season offering from around. either 98.5, or 1999.5, hence the reason it doesn't have a model designation, but i think f400 mid year, and offered rigid with a factory P-Bone with reducing cups as mentioned above. Offering a mid season bike, in a different colour way, with different options, topped up dealers stock, as they had to pre order in Europe so far ahead of actual delivery. The rigid fork option helps compete in the marketplace and reduces the price point on the shop floor when compared and competing with its cheaper far east counterparts, given the frame is handmade in the USA, assembled there, then shipped to Europe and the end dealer. A far more expensive process than far east options.

It certainly doubtful you will find an exact image in a yearly catalogue to match, as these were pre-printed before the midseason options became available. You might see a flyer for it though if anybody thought to keep one, Or a Mag image or review maybe.

I hope that helps.

Back