1980's Marin Models, Information, and ID-guide

Re:

Thanks gtturbo,

The only catalog I found online was described as 1989 (European, likely UK). Eldridge Grade is on it, would this be a 1990 Catalog? Attached is the speckled paint job bike on that catalog and what I believe is the, boring in comparison, North American counterpart.

I have what I suspect are bikes of all models-years 1986-89 wit the exception of the 1988 Team Issue, Titanium and Muir Woods. But need more to confirm this, their colors, components and serials.

Attachments

• Eldridge Grade-EU-UK.jpg
    Eldridge Grade-EU-UK.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 346
  • Eldridge-NA.jpg
    Eldridge-NA.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 346
Re: Re:

Antstark":1rahts7g said:
Don’t remember there being a Team Issue in 88..not in the UK anyway.

Thank you Antstark,

I don't have pictures of the 1988 Titanium, do you have of that one? Perhaps the Titanium was the team issue than year, does someone knows if this is the case?

Thanks for your help

Re: Re:

Thanks doctor-bond,

I guess that's that. The Marin 1986-89 MTB hierarchy is as follows.

doctor-bond":b5jrsb5b said:
I think that in 1988 there was the Team Titanium (built by Merlin? Litespeed for 1989?), and next in line the Pine Mountain which was lugged Tange Prestige.

Check out the text in the “Ultimate Prestige” advert in Sinnerman’s Pine Mountain thread:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=10

Attachments

• Marin '80 MTB model hierarchy missing highlighted.JPG
    Marin '80 MTB model hierarchy missing highlighted.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 351
These are what I understand useful ways to identify the 1986 to 1989 Marin Mountain Bikes so far.
1. Decals-(it's simpler to look at some samples)
a. Marin Brand (Downtube)
1986-Single line font with letters close together (narrower than letter' line width)
1987-Gray line with 3-D effect (white under gray-right displayed), close together (1.5 to 2 times width of letter' line width)
1988-White or Red (maybe other colors) single line that is crossed by thin horizontal lines, a heavily separate dashed shade to the left or right to the main letter lines. Each letter separated the width of four main lines.
1989- As in 1986, but separated by about 1.5 the width or a letter (not "I").

Attachments

• 1980s Brand decal.jpg
    1980s Brand decal.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 335
b. Bike Model (Top tube)

1986- "simple" font, slightly forward oriented, letter closer than with of letter line
1987-"simple" font, straight oriented, letters separated by about 2 times width of letter line
1988-"simple" font, straight oriented, letters separated by about 3 times width of letter line
1989- North America (US)?, hand-brushed style, letters close, separated by average width of letter line [US flag on top tube near seatpost]
1989- Europe (UK)?, "simple" font, strongly forward oriented, letter separated by width of letter line [I'm missing close up pic of this font]

Attachments

• 1980s Model decal.jpg
    1980s Model decal.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 321
c. Murray Badge/Decal (Seat tube)
1986- alloy round
1987-88-Square decal with bike color background.
1986-Absent

Attachments

• Joe Murray Designed Badge.jpg
    Joe Murray Designed Badge.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 320
Back