Help with Spin Wheels

Hello Yogi, I hope you don’t mind me adding to your thread, I’m having a different problem and have yet another (I think) version of the rear Spin hub…

Now then…my Spin rear wheel is different again….and I have a problem with it.
Namely, if I tighten all the relevant pieces up so that it runs smooth and free I get a slight wobble, which transmits to around 3mm of travel by the time it reaches the rim, not ideal for optimum brake set-up and probably not healthy for the bearings. 1/8th of a turn further eliminates the wobble but now it sounds like a coffee grinder and is considerably less free running. So, I assumed new bearings were required so ordered a pair of 6001 2RS as suggested above.

They arrived in the post today so I commenced the strip down, but my axle is different to the ones in Factory Jacksons pics.
Mine has a larger diameter bearing near the freehub then tapers down to the same diameter as the afore mentioned smaller diameter bearings… but my wheel only has one of a larger bearing. (609 2RS)
Also, the way it is secured is also slightly different, there is what seem like a floating nut on the drive side, this has two different size threads, one inbound to accommodate the axle, the other for the non-drive side axle stub. There is no spacer in-between as its not needed with this locking mechanism.

So, before I pull out what seems to be a perfectly fine bearing, do I need to remove this floating nut which from the outside seems more likely to be the issue, if yes, how? Its stuck in there like an Alabama tick… :|

Attachments

• IMG_7281.jpg
    IMG_7281.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 532
  • IMG_7285.jpg
    IMG_7285.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 532
  • IMG_7282.jpg
    IMG_7282.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 530
  • IMG_7286.jpg
    IMG_7286.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 530
  • IMG_7280.jpg
    IMG_7280.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 530
  • IMG_7266.jpg
    IMG_7266.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 530
  • IMG_7265.jpg
    IMG_7265.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 532
Morning bump..

I think the problem is with non drive side bearing, just can’t work out how to remove it. Obvious thing would be to undo that side of the hub (it’s got a big 40mm spanner sized nut shape machined into it) I was just hoping someone on here had some experience of it before I put some major force into undoing it...I’m not even sure which way to turn it.
I might just try some silicone spray on the dry bearing surface first and see how that works out.

Peachy!":dkm3jsde said:
Hello Yogi, I hope you don’t mind me adding to your thread, I’m having a different problem and have yet another (I think) version of the rear Spin hub…

Now then…my Spin rear wheel is different again….and I have a problem with it.
Namely, if I tighten all the relevant pieces up so that it runs smooth and free I get a slight wobble, which transmits to around 3mm of travel by the time it reaches the rim, not ideal for optimum brake set-up and probably not healthy for the bearings. 1/8th of a turn further eliminates the wobble but now it sounds like a coffee grinder and is considerably less free running. So, I assumed new bearings were required so ordered a pair of 6001 2RS as suggested above.

They arrived in the post today so I commenced the strip down, but my axle is different to the ones in Factory Jacksons pics.
Mine has a larger diameter bearing near the freehub then tapers down to the same diameter as the afore mentioned smaller diameter bearings… but my wheel only has one of a larger bearing. (609 2RS)
Also, the way it is secured is also slightly different, there is what seem like a floating nut on the drive side, this has two different size threads, one inbound to accommodate the axle, the other for the non-drive side axle stub. There is no spacer in-between as its not needed with this locking mechanism.

So, before I pull out what seems to be a perfectly fine bearing, do I need to remove this floating nut which from the outside seems more likely to be the issue, if yes, how? Its stuck in there like an Alabama tick… :|

I've got the same rear Spin hub as you Peachy. And I'm also needing to change bearings. Where did you source the bearings from?

Re: Re:

d8mok":2t9rdoy0 said:
Not that it helps you but my Spins are different to that too

No, but it’s nice to get some sort of response.... I think I’m going to grab the bull by the horns and try unscrewing the non-drive side.. although not until I’ve tried the silicone lubricant that should turn up on Monday.

If all fails I’ll use them as set dressing in the workshop or perhaps on my Trek for display/shows.. just won’t use them on a trail.... :(

Re:

If you search under my threads I had a problem with my rear hub earlier this year. I’d had the wheels a couple of years and all of a sudden a issue with it not freewheeling.

Magpiegifts":172zd5do said:
I've got the same rear Spin hub as you Peachy. And I'm also needing to change bearings. Where did you source the bearings from?

I got them on good old eBay, if you search 609 2RS bearing, there are plenty on there…. ;)

d8mok":1v63hcv2 said:
If you search under my threads I had a problem with my rear hub earlier this year. I’d had the wheels a couple of years and all of a sudden a issue with it not freewheeling.

Yes, I read that last night, it was from 2manyoranges comment that I got the silicone sugestion... how's your fix holding up?

Re:

All I did really was take it apart (several times ) and then pack it full of grease. Yeh it’s been faultless since. so no idea what triggered the issue.

The only thing I will say is that single wheels come up quite often cheap. Maybe keep a eye out and maybe a rear comes up that you can either use or use for parts maybe

d8mok":3j1kcg7f said:
All I did really was take it apart (several times ) and then pack it full of grease. Yeh it’s been faultless since. so no idea what triggered the issue.

The only thing I will say is that single wheels come up quite often cheap. Maybe keep a eye out and maybe a rear comes up that you can either use or use for parts maybe

Although currently a set on here and another on eBay are on for over £450!!!

In other news, the non-drive side 40mm nut was just that, a normal right-hand threaded lock nut which gave up its vice like hold with just a nominal amount of grunt... good news if I do find a single damaged rear spin, at least a hub swap-out will be easy.

Although I’m now thinking if this hub has sat, possibly with the wrong lubricant for a number of years, there’s no wonder it’s treacle like when tightened up enough to prevent the wobble...
So the basic plan is, sit it in my truing stand and keep feeding it with silicone spray whilst “spinning” it....

Attachments

• 41E7142A-134E-4968-80B2-4AC9B9AF3D7A.jpeg
    41E7142A-134E-4968-80B2-4AC9B9AF3D7A.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 455
  • 6647FDE4-6B36-49CF-B4D7-F0E724144258.jpeg
    6647FDE4-6B36-49CF-B4D7-F0E724144258.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 455
Back