Wheel in need of repair

Magpiegifts

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Can anyone recommend a good wheel repairer/builder in the Somerset area?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Re:

If you're courageous i'd recommend trying it yourself. I've built 2 wheels in the last couple of weeks and the results have been surprising and i'd never built one before.
I could 'tweak' and replace spokes but never more than that.

If you need one repaired or a rim replaced it's easier than starting from scratch ;)

I might give it a go some time.

But what I need at the minute is an expert who is good at repairing wheels/hubs &rims

Re:

definitely worth giving it a go at some point. I bit the bullet, bought a cheap jig and have built a few wheels which are still round, true and on bikes.

That said, of you want a good wheel builder, it is worth finding one. I've had a few built by local bike shops that have been shocking. I had no idea how bad they were until I had issues and due to a house move, had to find a new lbs who was very critical of the builds. You don't know what you don't know until you do. Its what prompted me to give it a go. My first build I wanted to get checked before I rode, took them to the critical lbs who was quite complimentary though did need to give them a tweak.

Even if you don't get it right, you'll only have to pay for a true rather than a build.

I went to one lbs and asked them to build me some wheels. Their advice was that even if I laced the wheels loosely, it would still only count as a true so much cheaper than a wheel build (£60 per wheel iirc), true, £10.

I still built them to the best of my amateur ability though, its the only way to learn as the feedback from the true job I can take to my next build.

That's food for thought for sure.

There's tutorial videos on YouTube that walk you through it.

I reckon I will stick my neck out and give it a go.

Nice one Ian,thanks mate.

Re:

Sorry for the late reply, been a bit busy. I'm in Wellington, where in Somerset are you?

Latest posts

Back