Seatpost Woes

SirLurkalot

Old School Hero
I rescued a Raleigh Moonrun from being dumped in a skip because I wanted a cheap project while on part furlough. It had been sat outside for a long time and the seatpost was solid and down as far as it could go.

The first course of action was to soak it in penetrating fluid then try it. Didn't budge, so I took to my mates workshop, put in his heavy duty vice and use the frame as a lever, nothing. My mate then turned down the end of a aluminium bar on his lathe to fit inside the post cut the clamp off and TIG welded the bar on so we had something more to grip. Used a long handle pipe wrench and the weld broke, twice!
Next we cut down inside the post and bent the top in and mate (now losing patience) used a long thin chisel down the sides to try and free it. At this point the frame started to split and I call a halt to it.

The only option left is caustic soda which I didn't want to do. My mate said if I could get the post out he'd weld the frame but is it worth it? It's a Reynolds 501 lugged frame.
So my cheap fun project has turned into a bit of a nightmare and I now have a refurbed Suntour XCE groupset and Alesa wheels with nothing to put them on.

Now looking for a cheap medium frame with 1" headtube. Maybe I should just take up knitting.

Re:

Thats not the best news!

Sadly its part of the course with older bikes, especially if not well maintained.

Honestly, if its not a bike your attached to, it may be time to let it go, knowing you did your best to save it.

You cant win every fight. A frame of a similar calibre or probably better will be out there for very little money.

Go onto the wanted page and put up an add. Just put this behind you and use it as a " school day" experience.

Just keep trying...... we would still all be small squishy green things living in a swamp if if you dont.

Re:

Makes my £10 Marin with missing seat/seatpost a good thing.

Stuck seatposts are one of a bike fanatics worst nightmares. I saved a Saracen Hard Trax from a skip, it too had a stuck seatpost, luckily it moved with WD40 and a stilsons.

If you want a cheap frame to build it's 19inch with stem, handlebar and chainset/BB. Way too good to scrap.

Re: Re:

Corblimeyguv":32zoxtqu said:
If you want a cheap frame to build it's 19inch with stem, handlebar and chainset/BB. Way too good to scrap.

Thank you for the offer. I have a 19" Marin, the appeal of the freebie was a shorter top tube which would have been easier on my back than the streached out Marin. God I'm getting old.

Back