1997 Kona Kilauea - Special Edition ?

Re:

A new contender has arisen. I have in my possession now these extremely clean M739 XT cranks in near new condition.

Should I use these instead of the race face ?

Screenshot-20200803-164859-Kijiji.jpg

Re: Re:

al-onestare":2ilpolu1 said:
I have both and prefer RaceFace 175mm. I find the drive that bit more direct.

I think the problem may have solved itself, likely be picking up a 1995 Explosif tonight...

Re:

First post on this forum, so firstly hello!
Haven't read the full replies but I had the Kona Kilauea 1997 model (UK). I will try and find some photos of it, I had it until about 2 years ago... Raced it all over the UK, took it to the Worlds in Switzerland 1997 (viewing, not competing!).

Certainly the version I purchased came with rigid forks, the grey Kona Project Forks. I added Marzocchi XC Suspension which at the time were fairly rare as everyone was on the Rockshox Judy.

The brakes weren't V Brakes originally, they (like the cranks, handlebars, seatpost, etc) were made by Curve Components. They were almost a hybrid of Cantilever and V Brakes due to the shape of them and were very good brakes. In fact, these were really just before V Brakes became the standard brakes on new bikes.

Originally it was Gripshift shifters rather than Shimano shifters that were supplied, I much preferred these anyway. In terms of derailleurs, etc I'm pretty sure they were XT (possibly LX but I'm sure XT as standard), the chanrings were Curve Components along with the Cranks.

My bike was a dark green in colour, macaw tyres, blue brake pads. Oohhhh the memories!

night_prowler":31s6cbdn said:
My bike was a dark green in colour, macaw tyres, blue brake pads. Oohhhh the memories!
Hello and welcome. If your bike was Dark Green, then it will have been a 1996 model, like the frame below. The 1997 Kilauea is Plumb Blue.

If you can find some pictures of your old bike, you may like to start your own thread :D .

Pip.

Attachments

• 1996 Kilauea 18.JPG
    1996 Kilauea 18.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 932

pipmeister":td0hxw5m said:
night_prowler":td0hxw5m said:
Hello and welcome. If your bike was Dark Green, then it will have been a 1996 model, like the frame below. The 1997 Kilauea is Plumb Blue.

If you can find some pictures of your old bike, you may like to start your own thread :D .

Pip.

Hi,
That is the exact one, thankyou. Honestly didn't realise it was a 96 model, I must of bought it a year earlier than I thought... As I get older the memory starts to fail me!

I have pictures somewhere, most are of me in a race but the bike is very visible.

Thankyou for that.

night_prowler":16b8bwi0 said:
First post on this forum, so firstly hello!
Haven't read the full replies but I had the Kona Kilauea 1997 model (UK). I will try and find some photos of it, I had it until about 2 years ago... Raced it all over the UK, took it to the Worlds in Switzerland 1997 (viewing, not competing!).

Certainly the version I purchased came with rigid forks, the grey Kona Project Forks. I added Marzocchi XC Suspension which at the time were fairly rare as everyone was on the Rockshox Judy.

The brakes weren't V Brakes originally, they (like the cranks, handlebars, seatpost, etc) were made by Curve Components. They were almost a hybrid of Cantilever and V Brakes due to the shape of them and were very good brakes. In fact, these were really just before V Brakes became the standard brakes on new bikes.

Originally it was Gripshift shifters rather than Shimano shifters that were supplied, I much preferred these anyway. In terms of derailleurs, etc I'm pretty sure they were XT (possibly LX but I'm sure XT as standard), the chanrings were Curve Components along with the Cranks.

Cheers and welcome!

As pip said yours must have been a 96 Kilauea, and as you alluded to the MTB changed pretty significantly in 97 with V brakes, and suspension was much more common!

Back