Claud Butler Ritchey Competition, can't find diddly!

Janners Mugs

Old School Hero
I have been told about a Claud Butler Ritchey Competition, haven't seen it yet. Apperantly from the 1990's Silver, with U-brakes, no suspension and altus C10 rear mech with thumb shifters. Ever tried getting somebody to describe a bike over the phone when they have no ideas about bikes or how their phone works, it's a challenge.
I am no expert but I think Altus C10 was around in early 90s? So it could be right. The only example I can find is on ebay but they reckon this is 2000 to 2003 ish.

Any info would be welcome.

Janners

Now wondering if it's the same bike, but being sold by a member of the family.........

Looking at the catalogues I end thinking Claud Butler introduced that sort of groupset 93 / 94 ish and by 1998 had gone to v-brakes. So I end up in the 1993 -1997 time span. Anybody able to nail it down a bit tighter?

The ever curious..
Janners

No 'u-brakes' for Claud Butlers in the 90's

Altus C10 was from around 1992 for the 1993 model year

Thumbshifters were dropped by Shimano for the 1993 model year, a few companies used them beyond but CB were using STI very early on.

Peachy has been gathering information here that may be of use

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=403842&start=10

Altus C10

1993+-+ALTUS+C10.jpg

"Legrandfromage", excellent.
I thought I had seen something on here, it turns out it was the Peachy thread, couldn't find it for looking.
Now to continue to work out whether this is a junker cobbled together or what.

Janners

Re: Ritchey

Hello
I believe I have a Ritchey Compertition Alloy MTB but all the badges have been removed bar the frame number sticker at the base of the seat post. I have been trying to find out what it was as I brought it second hand almost 25 years ago and have now cleaned and repolished the frame and reassembled to start riding again.

I tried asking Claud Butler about the frame but got some lame email saying "I’m afraid since manufacturing moved off-shore we stopped recording frame numbers, so we have no reference to check against the details on your frame."(tsk) :roll:
After much searching using this site and other great search facilities (EBAY) I have manage to identify my frame and get an idea what the original looks like.

My frame is the same and the seat post and head set is the same so i believe I have one. I do not have the C10 derailer but a Alivio.
Thank you retrobike. :D
attached picture is from ebay.

Attachments

• CB MTB 7.jpg
    CB MTB 7.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 165
Back