First Project - 90's GT Advice

Rtdread

Retro Newbie
Hello all,

Looking for some advice on GT's - Like many I am starting to miss my GT that was stolen in 1996 when I was 16 - I can't remember the model but was purple and a GT, and I rode the heck out of it as any teenager would. That's all I have on this bike.

So now I am looking to pick up an old GT frame or bike and start a project, I will be looking to get some lightweight parts for it and use around the city and bike paths, won't be off-road.

What I need help with is which frames to look out for, I don't mind paying up to around £150 but finding it hard to work out what's what, I know there is the Zaskar but that is unlikely given the prices.
What do people know about these?

GT Pantera Aluminium (no suspension)
GT Tequesta in bright red Groove Tube (no suspension)
GT Tempest in green around 1990 GT (no suspension)
GT Rebound in bright yellow - just the frame so no more info

What other models should I look out for? Could anyone list in order the best to worst?

And another question, I am thinking of selling my Kona Caldera as a part fund for this project, but should I keep it?

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... lideshow=1

Thank you for any advice

Re:

Obviously a Zaskar would be ideal and they do come along at a reasonable price sometimes. I picked up a complete bike for £150 so they are out there. Failing that I'd look for an avalanche or pantera as I love the polished frames. However it's upto you which you prefer. You could still add a suspension fork to a fully rigid at some point, when / if funds allow. However part of the attraction for me is the simplicity of fully rigid, true old school cool as it were.

Re:

Thanks for the frame offer, I think what I am really after though is a coloured frame, would seam a shame to paint it right? What size frame is it? Also in Bristol so would not be able to pick up. The Avalanche, a good frame?

Although already I am starting to fall from that brushed silver. Would look lovely paired with electric blue parts.

Now here is a question, I have seen what is apparently a Zaskar frame, but the cable runs run along the top of the frame, whereas I thought they were internal?

I also won't be putting suspension on the bike, want to keep it fully rigid.

Re:

None of the original Zaskar had internal routing. Zaskars have a flat end cap and 6061 stamped on the drop out.

Re:

So this would not be one?

Attachments

• C4922646-3DF8-4A5C-9208-6A39B7C1AC9D.jpeg
    C4922646-3DF8-4A5C-9208-6A39B7C1AC9D.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 470
Re:

It's difficult to tell from the picture but it may be one of the later models. I'm no expert but I believe the original most sought after Zaskar were handmade in the USA and had a flat end cap. Later models were more of a "mass produced" model and made in Taiwan and lacked the flat end cap. There are posts on what to look for on here it's a bit of a dark art, especially as many people re badged lower models. Hence the many " is it a zaskar" posts and comments on here.

I have one as a project I haven´t started yet, it is a timberline. It was a mid -low range with STX and Alivio from mid 90s. It is steel and looks quite nice, a good start for a not very expensive project. But I don´t know what to do with this project, I would like to participate in some mtb events but with the covid all have been suspended.

I like more the steel GT frames than the aluminium ones, If you see a karakoram, go for it, it is quite nice but I haven´t found one in good original condition.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 457
Re:

If your in Bristol I'd head to the local bike charity, apparently the one your way is pretty good, usually have some knowledgeable people there. Also if you want a coloured frame, check out some of the earlier 90's stuff Bravado, Karakoram etc.

madjh":2ingszhu said:
I have one as a project I haven´t started yet, it is a timberline. It was a mid -low range with STX and Alivio from mid 90s. It is steel and looks quite nice, a good start for a not very expensive project. But I don´t know what to do with this project, I would like to participate in some mtb events but with the covid all have been suspended.

I like more the steel GT frames than the aluminium ones, If you see a karakoram, go for it, it is quite nice but I haven´t found one in good original condition.

Nice bike, I will follow your project if you are posting on here. What do you think of Tequesta and Tempest?

Back