Lubricant...What for where?

Janners Mugs

Old School Hero
DON'T SHOOT ME...

As it says really. Since I was a lad (now in my 50's) I have used any old car grease for bearings, everything else got WD40 for winter and GT85 for summer. Now my bikes are getting older and perhaps a little more care in the lubrication areas might be called for. Can't have done too bad I've been riding my Diamondback for 26 years, however time to progress.

So wax, lithium, non lithium, Triflow....etc what and where?

This has been prompted by grease pot /WD 40 gallon container/GT 85 etc all running out.

First off WD40 isn’t a lubricant...but ignoring that...

Chain, mechs and cables: Finish Line Cross Country (green cap), though have used various others to no ill effect when not available (Halfords own, MucOff blue cap)
Bearings/installation: was Finish Line (red in a green tube), but think i’ve got Fenwicks now, also some Fenwicks copper slip and carbon paste where needed
Gentleman parts: Chamois Buttr

Not really tied to brands, usually based on what I can get locally when I need it, and can’t be bothered with getting supersized containers with loads in.

good question

I am fed up with bad chain lubes, which put back stuff on the outside of the chain, and just attract grit and leave nasty marks on legs and clothes...so....

Chain lube is Muc Off wet chain lube for motorbikes - great formulation which creeps into the right part of the chain, then thickens. Chains last forever with this stuff.
Cables - GT85 when assembling.
White Finish Line grease for all bearing applications including brake bosses - in a Dualco grease gun.
CoppaSlip antiseize for all threads.
Blue Loctite for those you want to stay put.
Cheap red grease in a Dualco grease gun for applications of low criticality....

Comma grease for bearings

WD40 for general cleaning

GT85 for cleaning very dirty parts including chains

3in1 on the chain / jockey wheels if a long ride is coming up with the chain run through a cloth to take the excess off

3in1 on cable inners when assembling

Nothing for forks as theres only two sets left in use.

Citrus Swarfega for hands and disc brake degreasing

The WD40 bike specific products are actually quite good.

I use WD40 dry lube and the WD40 bike wash. I use Simple Green degreaser for cleaning drivetrain parts. I like Muc-off dry lube as well but it is getting hard to find so I only use it for dusty conditions.

Re:

Chains: Finishline Ceramic Wet lube
Bearings: Castrol High Temperature Grease, though for posh stuff (XT, XTR, Dura Ace) Shimano Special Grease
Cables: I used to use silicone grease, but it goes tacky and attracts dirt so now nothing, or a squirt of WD40 if things are draggy
Threads: Copper grease

For anythig with rubber or plastic like forks and shocks, rock Shox or Fox oil and grease.
Metalic parts, shimano grease.
For chain, I buy decatlhon oil and other stuff because I use a lot, once per 100km including a light clean.

Thanks all,
Just had a look at the big tin of Grenville grease that is about 20 years old, its a molybdenum grease. never noticed before. I was doing better than I thought.

Janners

Back