Kona Seat-post Cable Guide

Heavy

Retro Guru
I have a 95 Lava Dome that has a seat collar cable guide for the rear canti brake.

Where the inner cable goes along the top tube, it has a very thin plastic outer which goes through the guide. (I hope this makes sense, but I think if you know, you know)

I am wondering - A. what this thin plastic outer is called and if its available, and B. if it is necessary or if you can just run a bare inner along the TT and through the guide?

Cheers

Re:

A: I Don't know.

B: Yes it is. If you don't use it you'll scuff the paint on your top tube.

I used some electrical insulation sleeving the last time I cabled up a Kona. I can't remember if I used 2 mm or 3 mm though. It works well.

Similar to this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-HEAT-S ... Swh1pZ-fVH

SP

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Interestingly my 92 Kona came with no sheath over this cable and I've run it for nigh on 30 years (I bought it new) like that. Regular lubrication and it still has the original plastic guide.

I say still.has. It's in a box as I've just collected the frame from being powdercoated for a complete rebuild... including a v brake conversion so I've ordered a clamp on cable stop to use now.

You dont need it, but it does help protect the cable and paintwork, though those little rubber donut things that slide over the cable do that as well :)

I found a good substitute when I was builing up a Lava Dome, which is a thin rubber or neoprene tubing. Its used by jewellery makers and also in the fishing world and for medicine. If I remember rightly it came from
www.hilltop-products.co.uk. Just check the inner and outer diameters of the tubing are suitable for the thickness of the cables. Jewellery suppliers are also good. You can find them on Etsy.
Good luck!

Back