Retrobike Touring.

Re:

My solution to using a high-end, early 90's steel frame that is two inches too big for me was to load up the front rather than the rear.

With no panniers, my bodyweight holds doan the rear; then the weight up front stops it feeling insecure on descents.

Some people don't like climbing with the front loaded, but I found it reallly nice with good barends to pull on.

Re:

Budget rack recommendations, looking for a rear rack that won't break and wont break the bank ?n

Topeak, Blackburn ?

I use Blackburn but I have noticed that due to them being made of aluminium they are wearing a little where my Ortlieb panniers rub against them. It might be worth getting some steel ones instead, a little heavier but they will last as long as your steel frame if you manage to find some.

For me aluminium and touring don't mix well.

I forgot to mention, if you buy steel racks it's easier to get them welded back together if they break during a ride, a good aluminium welder is much more difficult to find. You can pretty much drop into any high street or village car repair or MOT centre and they are guaranteed to have a welding unit somewhere in the building. I also know for a fact there are a lot of hobbyists who have them in the garage of their home, hardly used. A knock on someones door will soon lead you to a tinkerer down their street who can weld two pieces of metal back together for you to limp home with.

Failing that you can get a nut and bolt drilled in there somewhere with some scrap steel to act as a brace.

Re:

Second (or third?) the recommendation on steel rack. More likely to tolerate bending back after a crash or shunt too. I've had similar wear issues with aluminium racks, but nothing terminal.

And a note of caution on blackburn. They build them so tough your frame may suffer. A friend of mine did a small shunt into the back of me while touring in Tunisia. The blackburn bottle cage - didn't bend or break - but instead tore off my frame - initiating the frame cracks which would eventually prove terminal.

Re:

I have just got a Scott Windriver frame and Forks. It's Double Butted Tubing and stays.

I did plan to build into an mtb but was thinking.

Could this be suitable for touring on ?? Strong enough ??

I seem to remember someone touring on a similar Scott but can locate the post.

I'll be up picture up later.

Sounds perfect. Any steel MTB will be strong enough, the only difference is that high end frames tend not to be so nice when laden.

hamster":5mboshs6 said:
Sounds perfect. Any steel MTB will be strong enough, the only difference is that high end frames tend not to be so nice when laden.

Thanks, just wanted to check that before I built it up. It feels light too :D

I am I total novice about touring :oops:

Back