SBC Son of Strongarm

Braze O'Mar

Retro Newbie
Hello everyone, I'm loving this site - I can't stay off it!

I am trying to remove the son of strongarm crankset from my 1997 Specialized Rockhopper. I have a crank puller which I have used to remove the Deore cranks from my 1988 Giant Escaper, but the bit which threads into the crank seems too big for the Specialized crank. Does anyone know if it needs a different size puller than the Shimano one?

Re:

Just removed a pair of these to sell and they are normal threads as per all other chainsets

Shouldn't be anything special. Any branded or non branded puller you can get nowadays should do the job. Had no issues on my Rockhopper. Would be more inclined to think your pre-90's bike might have been threaded differently? But I'd doubt that.

Braze O'Mar":1nl23a2b said:
Ah ok thanks for your replies, I am maybe not being patient enough. I'm off to give it another go.

Are you sure the crank isn't stripped? Or maybe there's damage to your pullers threads?

Re:

Likely the crank threads are ropey.Its important to make sure that the extractor thread is going in perfectly and is square.If its fractionally off you will strip the threads.

On closer inspection the threads look to be deformed, I managed to get it off by tapping back and forth with a mallet.

Re: Re:

d8mok":20lqxtog said:
Just removed a pair of these to sell and they are normal threads as per all other chainsets

I found yours on ebay and have made an offer, I will up the offer if you need more for it!

Shhh... dont tell anyone

If you strip the threads on the drive side:

file.php

Re: Re:

Braze O'Mar":3jn1ye6f said:
d8mok":3jn1ye6f said:

I found yours on ebay and have made an offer, I will up the offer if you need more for it!

They sold whilst I was sleeping. Can’t beat that. Was it to you?

Back