Not sure what to do with this thrift store purchase

tock13

Retro Newbie
Hello,
So here in Washington State we started to open up businesses and are able to get out and about...with face masks of course. I am a thrift store junkie and scour the stores for cool 70's stereo stuff and ever elusive Mountain Goat Whiskey Town Racer that I KNOW I will stumble on some day....have to keep hope alive right? :)

anyway, yesterday I finally got to the local Goodwill in my town after months of it being closed. I was hoping to find some nice old pedals hung on some rusted wreck. When I walked into the sporting goods section a worker there was pulling out a bunch of old huffy and magna kids bikes in a big cart. In the middle I spotted a cool set of pedals with toe straps and I thought, sweet...worth the $20 they typically slap on their rust bucket bikes. I helped the guy putting the bikes out by grabbing what was attached to the pedals....hokey smokes it was light and like brand new!

and it had a $24.99 price tag on it. :shock:

This was sitting in someones basement for decades unused it looks like. It is filthy dirty but the only paint dings or marks on it are on the side of the top tube and a small one on the fork where it leaned against something. There is some home project rattle can overspray on the saddle and top tube. no marks on the cranks from riding. it just has dust and dirt caked on it from sitting for years. the foam grips are hard and about to disintegrate it feels like. Tires were flat but hold air just fine and look barely used. Even the braking surfaces on the rims look hardly used.

this thing is like a bike time forgot.

I know about Kleins, I lived in the town they were originally built in and had coveted one back in the day but I just have never heard of this model. It's like a gravel bike way before gravel bikes were trendy. I am not sure the exact year, seems from what I can find searching here they are from early 90s. The serial number on this one is # 51. I am absolutely bummed out it is too small for me because just riding it around the shop this thing is seriously nimble and feels fast.

so the question is...do I swipe the XTR group off this frame and replace the XC Pro stuff on my Yeti and hang the Adept frame on my wall or is it a better idea to leave the Klein as is and see if anyone would be interested in it? Is there a market for oddball Kleins like this that don't say Attitude or Adroit on the top tube?

I am going to take it apart and clean it up but just looking at it now it screams high end quality, it is so light. I have never really looked this close at a Klein, they are really nice frames! The paint isn't the insane fades they are known for but the sparkle in the silver is classy none the less.

wish I could make it bigger!

Attachments

• IMG_3611s.jpg
    IMG_3611s.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 748
  • adept1s.jpg
    adept1s.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_3614s.jpg
    IMG_3614s.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_3613s.jpg
    IMG_3613s.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_3612s.jpg
    IMG_3612s.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_3611s.jpg
    IMG_3611s.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_3607s.jpg
    IMG_3607s.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_3605 s.jpg
    IMG_3605 s.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 748
Lovely bike! Super cool. Sell the frame and forks on ebay you'll get good money I'm sure. Give some back to the thrift store.

Didnt think thrift store bargains like this could happen since everyone has got Google!

CTK":1i35jc6f said:
Lovely bike! Super cool. Sell the frame and forks on ebay you'll get good money I'm sure. Give some back to the thrift store.

Didnt think thrift store bargains like this could happen since everyone has got Google!

this, assuming thrift stores are like our charity shops, not for profit, good for the community, with everything that is going on there are a lot of people needing help right now, and with the other bits you've still done well, or sell some bits, donate back and hang on wall.

What I would do before anything is work out exactly what it is to get as much of the story as possible, it may add to the value. I don't know much about Kleins, see "value" thread thats running, I don't have the spare cash, but #51 sounds early and if different may have a collectable premium which would be good for all. However, Adepts per wikipedia are 92-94 so not super early, so ??? Depending where you are exactly it could be former employees bike where took home some experiment / finished early model etc. I'd do this before taking apart just in case, if you can resist.

Holy cow, with M900 goodies, and a super nice Flite seat, and original fork, and a non-Trek build date, and, and, and......

Re:

I am not really sure what size it is, I found some Klein catalogs here and from what I can tell it is from the first year of production for this model, 1992. I think I can figure out size by their geometry chart.

I will fiddle around and clean it up today. I have never tried out XTR components before so it will be fun to see what the hype is about. They looks nice. I have always used Suntour.

This bike sure looks like it would be a fun bike with some wider grippy cyclocross tires. Seems like it would roll really fast through rolling single track. It feels so light, the catalog has it at 23 lbs which seems wild for an off the shelf bike.

Re:

Great score, it looks in stunning condition :cool:
the irony for me here is the phrase "Were you wearing a mask when you brought that?" meaning "you robbed that!" because you were wearing a mask :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Re: Re:

MR OX":vrylhbdm said:
Great score, it looks in stunning condition :cool:
the irony for me here is the phrase "Were you wearing a mask when you brought that?" meaning "you robbed that!" because you were wearing a mask :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

LOL! Too funny. It is kind of like the wild west around here with everyone wearing bandanas. Outlaws!

Back