Smaller rear tyre or not ??

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Had a 2.1 tyre on the front of my Explosif and a 1.9 on the rear.

They have worn so I have replaced with 2.1 front and rear and it feels :? The rear isn't touching the frame but it's close.

The tyres are a similar tread pattern but it feels unsettled on the rear.

Anyone had any experiences of different sizes.

Was the previous 1.9 rear specific ?
If the new 2.1 is similar to existing front might it be front specific.
Alternatively your used to the way your weight affected the narrower tyre. A wider tyre will bulged out further over the rim thus will deform more and thus move more. Try pumping tyre to higher psi thus reducing the deformation.

On my modern mountain bike I tend to run a 2.8-3 inch on the front and a 2.6 inch the rear. Partly a clearance issue as I find rear wheels/tyres are more likely to flex and rub than the front - probably because they get more weight over them, aren't as stiff and take more of hammering.

Extra width on front also gives better braking without feeling as draggy as both wheels with wide tyres do.

I run 2.0 on both front and rear but then again I never understood the reasoning for using different sizes. Feel free to enlighten me!

Imlach":7ug51pmx said:
I run 2.0 on both front and rear but then again I never understood the reasoning for using different sizes. Feel free to enlighten me!

I see it as a half way house where you get some of the benefits of both a wider and narrower tyre on the ends of the bike where they make the most difference. The difference is likely quite marginal though and my set up is partly based on these were the cheapest tyres I could get at the time.

Works for some

file.php

modern 29er I run 2.1" and 2.1" If i could get hold of a modern S-Works 1.9" XC tyre then I would run that on the back!

Alas narrow tyres are rocking horse poo...this is because apparently modern day mountain bikers will smash up their faces and die should they put anything under 2.3" on their biokes

Back