Removing chrome plating

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Recently acquired an RTS rear end (steel) but it has been chromed. It's got a fair bit of surface rust so want to clean it up, but suspect the best option is to remove the chrome to get back to steel

No idea how to go about this, anyone know?

Would it be simpler to tidy up and paint?

Re:

Saw a Salvage Hunters Classic Cars episode where they removed the chrome from a bumper. They did it by reversing the chroming process.
Is there a chromers you know of that could do it as a tea-fund donation job ?

Re:

I heard that the reverse process was needed which sounded expensive.

I've no clue what the actual process is, find it odd that someone would have done this to an RTS rear end in the first place.

I was going to use the rear end as a project and get a disc mount added but the plating makes welding more complicated.

Might just have to sand as best as I can, rust treat and paint. It was always destined to be a spare so don't want to throw money away on it.

Its electro plating an if its shiny thats Nickel then chrome is plated over that

You can shotblast carefully or see if there is an acid dipper locally who may be able to help

Lemon juice and tin foil. ;)

I've cleaned a few OS BMXs using this method.

Juice a few lemons, scrunch up some tin foil. Then rub some lemon juice on the rust spots and rub with the tin foil.

You can use coca cola (or other named brands) aswell.

Back