Scott Endorphin, a failed design?

Re:

Interesting point about the brake bosses & Magura brakes, years ago I bent the brake bosses on some Pace RC30's by constant use of Magura rim brakes without a brake booster plate, so I'd imagine the same could happen to the rear bosses. Worth checking things like that.

Re:

Crikey

I hadn't even thought of the forces going through the brake bosses. I guess it's the same for v brakes too.
2kg? :shock: For a MEDIUM? And I would need a large too .
Nice pics Marcin, get the other one built up mate! I want to see pics :cool:
So what's the good from bad with brake boosters? Never used them :oops:

Mike

Belive or not

20120424037.jpg

Large shouldn't be heavier than 2kgs IMO but it's still not lightweiht class :LOL:

About brakes- that frames don't like Maguras IMO - probably it's a bit different position brake bosses to rim (a bit higher than in normal frames) and it's hard to find good position for Maguras ( blocks are getting to the tyre or very close to tyre)

I was trying to find in the web picture of damaged brake bosses in Endorphin frame, but no result...
One I remember in the web was Passifora's frame
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=162114&hilit=endorphin

Re:

Cheers Marcin, ;)

I would be using v brakes anyway, I know where I am with those. Would brake boosters still be needed to protect the frame?
Have you STILL not finished building the other one? :LOL:
Sounds like I'm going to carry on looking for one then :cool:

Mike

Re:

The 20 1/2" one on top of my wardrobe weighs roughly 2400gms with headset, BB, and XT front mech on it.....

:mrgreen:

I was never using boosters in mine and nothing happend (hope it'll not be changed ;))
Also nobody from persons who I know didn't using boosters to V brakes in their Endos, and cracks only two older ones equipped in Magura brakes (can't tell now ifthe maguras were with or without boosters)
BTW If You'll look into catalogue any Endorphin hadn't Maguras in oryginal specyfication

Have you STILL not finished building the other one? :LOL:
Did I even start? :LOL:

@LikeClockwork - 20,5"? You mean size L? Didn't heard about any bigger size than L, and my L is ~~18" C-C (maybe You measured it C-T?)

Re:

Thanks for your help Scott brother ;)

Had 3 rides in 3 days, I'll post some photos when I get home mate ;)

Mike

When measured my L it was 46cm from center of BB to center of top tube (in place where it meets seat tube) - so ~~18,1"
I didn't measured from center of BB to the top edge of top tube, but it could be around 19" as top tube is having quite massive vertical cross-section

Re: Scott Endorphin mtb.

I lived in Southern California in the 1990s, working as a bikeshop mechanic, one shop was Competition Cycles in Van Nuys, San Fernando Valley, LA, a Scott dealer. Our boss got himself an Endorphin.
We were all quite good riders and used to the local terrain, a range of sandstone hills called the Santa Monica Mountains. We'd often ride up there after work. It is dry dusty near-desert terrain, chaparral covered hillsides, and steep single track trails with a lot of loose dust and gravel.
It was very hard to keep going in the steeper places, keeping the back wheel hooked up on the loose surface.
But our boss on the Endorphin could usually get a full 100 yards further uphill than the rest of us on assorted hardtails, due to the softtail effect of the Scott E-stay design, which gave it nearly a half inch of suspension flex,thus a tenacious grip on the loose ground.
I suspect the designers had this quality very much in mind in producing this bike.
That area has dry sunny weather for 11 months of the year, and so the wet-weather performance of ceramic rims mentioned would seldom be a problem.
It's interesting to consider how some significant mtb designs may have been quite specific to a particular locale, and its surface and typical weather conditions.
North Shore style bikes in Vancouver, BC, might be another example.

A comment on brake booster plates, which I always liked with cantilevers or V-brakes.. It's quite instructive to measure just how much the force reaction to brake pressure, pushes the brake bosses out sideways even on a sturdy looking metal hardtail frame. Easy to measure with the bike up on a workstand, clamping the brake lever hard.
Fitting a booster completely eliminates this flexing of the seatstays (or fork legs), giving a slightly lighter touch to the brake-lever action.

Latest posts

Back