Restored RS Mag 21 SL Titanium Forks

Dammnnn my most favorite fork by far! Get them in the sunlight and take more pics if you can please! (They look a little darker indoors.)

Epic work. I’ve seen one of them from photos sent to me by its owner. Truly epic mate!

Re:

Thanks for the replies chaps; good to hear :)

Firstly, working with old, cast magnesium is a 'pita'!... especially as it appears, through my various experiences, that these Mag legs aren't the best quality, which doesn't help!...mainly porosity issues.

If you plan to paint the magnesium lowers, it's a right palava to say the least. You need to strip the old finish, chemically clean the legs and then chemically prep them (all at correct titration, temperature and immersion period, with rinsing in de-ionised water inbetween) before primer, base coat (colour) and then clear coat.

I've been down this road before and if I wanted a painted finish again, I'd get someone else to do it who knows what they are doing when painting magnesium!

The forks I've done here are a translucent gold over a chrome base - When RS had them done 'bitd' the forks were originally (I believe) finished by polishing the magnesium before a chromate finish was applied; I have looked into this and it appears to no longer be an option for various reasons.

These four forks are all sold. I have a next batch of three to do, with a deposit taken on one and I'm waiting for a deposit on the second one, leaving one left.

I don't plan at this stage to do anymore - as I've eluded to, it's far from straightforward and to be frank, it's a right 'pita' as I may have also mentioned! :LOL:

Cheers

regan_ev":1na9rbss said:
Dammnnn my most favorite fork by far! Get them in the sunlight and take more pics if you can please! (They look a little darker indoors.)

Epic work. I’ve seen one of them from photos sent to me by its owner. Truly epic mate!

I'll try and do so.

I presume that was Christian's fork?

Cheers

Without using chemicals, the only way I could get near to an SL style finish was polishing them.
So I would recommend anyone to go for a colour coded style, so much easier.

These are excellent though, worth all the hassle (to pay some poor sod ;-)) to do it though.

wadsy":28rxjkn7 said:
I'll try and do so.

I presume that was Christian's fork?

Cheers
Cool!

Yep, Hatch’s forks. Had me drooling when I saw them! Top work dude.

Re:

Hello Retrobikers! Great community here. So much so, I’ve been compelled to join up. This is the first online group I’ve ever joined as I normally prefer just being a “lurker”. Top notch discussion and information here, so I’m thankful to be a part of it.

To the point of this thread... I have a couple pair of mag 21 forks and am awaiting delivery of 2 more pair. They are not of the SL ti type, and all need some level of attention. I plan to have a go at service/repair of each set and wanted to ask if any of you know of a place to source dust wipers for them? Your collective help is much appreciated.

Abominable

Back