1996 Kona Koa vs Lava Dome

Cinder Cove is also steel. Why is it the more expensive model with higher end components? Wasn't aluminum the big thing back then?

npn":r3bkz7nq said:
Cinder Cove is also steel.
It’s called a Cinder Cone, as in the top of a Volcano - not Cove.

Why is it the more expensive model with higher end components?
Kona had a somewhat wider choice of models than other manufacturers, so needed to draw a fine line between them price wise. The Cinder Cone is a slightly higher end frame in the Steel hierarchy with its version of Butted CroMo tubing, than the Koa is in the Aluminium hierarchy with its generic 7005 tubing.

The year of the Koa that you highlighted is 1996, when the Cinder Cone had the same frame as the Lava Dome, but was fitted with slightly higher end components, which is reflected in the price. The Koa came lower in the hierarchy than the Aluminium Muni Mula, which had slightly more sophisticated tubing.
U.K. prices:
1996 Lava Dome - £590
1996 Koa - £600
1996 Cinder Cone - £700
1996 Muni Mula - £ 850

Wasn't aluminum the big thing back then?
In 1996, Steel frames were still considered the go to tubing by many customers. Aluminium was only just beginning to replace Steel by the competing Team Members, but that change accelerated over the next two years, which is ONE of the reasons for the 1997 Retro break on this site.

Anyway, that is a lovely example for sale :) .

Pip

I appreciate the long explanation. $425 is bit steep for this bike regardless the pristine condition. Given the same price for Lava Done, which one would you go for? Honestly, I'm intrigued by the fact that one recently sold on eBay in the UK for much higher (see the other thread)

Generally people go for steel - if nothing else the frame has a potentially infinite fatigue life, unlike anything aluminium. Put simply, you can ride a Lave Dome for ever. (I do own an aluminium retro Kona as my main ride though).

The Lava Dome is also a nicer colour.

Re:

Here's the Lava Dome. Photos are not good but that's what the seller has...

49959108038_0906e9017b_o_d.jpg

49959601086_114af92828_o_d.jpg

Janners Mugs":apaedjhn said:
The reason for the cut off.....well everyday is a school day. Marvelous.
You may notice that I put "ONE" of the reasons in capitals, as it is probably the least significant. The introduction of V-Brakes that enabled keener stopping power, and Suspension Forks that worked properly were more to do with the seismic shift in the industry.

However, let's not steer this thread away from npn's original post - have search on this site for a thread on the subject. I'd look myself for you, but I have to fix a neighbour's bike now ;) .

Pip

Back