Wheel building requirement.

make sure you get the lacing right so the valve hole is above the logo on the hub, and the rim label can be read from the right hand side of the bike! ;)

jonboy":2kn7wix9 said:
make sure you get the lacing right so the valve hole is above the logo on the hub, and the rim label can be read from the right hand side of the bike! ;)

It's all about the detail - love it!

Re: Re:

Corblimeyguv":1tkif6nu said:
Thanks for all the replies :)

I've been truing up wheels for years but never actually built one.
It's something that's interested me ever since watching my mate building them in the 90's.

I'm going to use an old hub and have a go. Spokes are around £30 for 144 with nipples online and i'll get some rims too. Gotta learn sometime :LOL:

If you're just swapping the rim, tape your new one to the old one... Progressively loosen all the spokes then swap them across, and tension accordingly. This will work as long as the profile of the rims are similar.

Bike Hoarder":n37pkpx5 said:
jonboy":n37pkpx5 said:

Oh, and the valve must be between two of the spokes that are most parallel. Nearly forgot that. :facepalm:

jonboy":2oaki14p said:
Bike Hoarder":2oaki14p said:
jonboy":2oaki14p said:

Oh, and the valve must be between two of the spokes that are most parallel. Nearly forgot that. :facepalm:

Nice detail... Would you go to the trouble of making sure all the nipples are the same orientation?

Nice detail... Would you go to the trouble of making sure all the nipples are the same orientation?[/quote]

Now that's ^^ a bit OCD, wouldn't you say ?!! :facepalm:

And not practical...... :roll:

As for proper line up and orientation, that’s taking pride in your work....

Although I will admit to re-lacing a pair of 1985 Deore hubs 3 times last night, trying to get them to match (the Shimano stamping position compared to the spoke holes on the hubs was just a bit different throwing out the rim alignment by a whole spoke spacing)
My son put a calming hand upon my shoulder and said “ that’s enough Dad, put it down and go to bed” :facepalm:

Attachments

• C71CC7EB-AB51-4C52-B766-D9AA123FBFC9.jpeg
    C71CC7EB-AB51-4C52-B766-D9AA123FBFC9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 110
Re:

I'll just be happy with a usable wheel !!

Got Longun on the case for suitable rims to use. Other than that i'm going to follow the advice and tape the new rim to the old and swap the spokes over.

Thanks to all who've taken the time to reply. Hopefully a new string to my dusty bow :)

Back