Insurance Values - New for Old

toaster999

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi

How do you guys approach insurance values for retrobikes on a new for old policy or just the insurance value?

D.

Named item, whilst I sold my pace for £1200 in the end there is no way I could have replaced it, I think that was insured at £3500 which is about the price of a modern mid range XC Race hardtail, or new for old.

Having had to claim for two rare bikes I had to get further quotes for equivalent frames/builds in modern contemporary manufacture or bespoke.

Re:

I personally don’t have any fancy or expensive bikes, but always wondered how someone could feel comfortable locking a $5000 bike with a $20 lock to a public bike rack. Or putting a $10000 mountain bike on a car bike rack and driving down the road.

Re: Re:

Scvintage":671etyeg said:
I personally don’t have any fancy or expensive bikes, but always wondered how someone could feel comfortable locking a $5000 bike with a $20 lock to a public bike rack. Or putting a $10000 mountain bike on a car bike rack and driving down the road.

I have several nice bikes and two are "fancy"...I have never owned a bike lock, quite simply my bikes don't leave my sight, they have their own room in the house...and the hallway and two in the bedroom there's one in the kitchen.

But theives aren't always that clever, we we're burgled once, they stole every crap 32" TV in the house, stole every remote control and a Wii but left behind an Audiolab stereo and walked past at least three £2000+ mountain bikes.

They also stole my North Face Duffle sack which had been all around the world with me since I was 17 to carry it all in...that really pissed me off the most.

Re:

Named items with a set value which is generally the cost of a new equivalent or an estimate at what it would cost to build or buy the same again.

Reminds me, I have to update my policy as I've bikes insured I no longer have.

Re:

I don’t bother insuring my possessions. The way see it is better to be safe than sorry. You never know if you’ll get burgled, but I sleep soundly knowing I’ll never have to pay for insurance.

;)

Back