Aluminum welding/ heat treating

Spudalumps

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all!

I’m looking for someone who can weld aluminium T6 6061. I am looking to have a Kids Zaskar headtube welded and then the frame heat treated. Is there anyone on here with the ability’s and facilities?

Kind regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,
Easy enough to weld, I have done several, along with whole new head tubes etc, but in 7005.
However, with 6061 the post-weld heat treatment cycle required is hugely more difficult and expensive.

-Clean off any paint or lacquer back to bare clean metal.
-Cut out crack to a v-notch with cutting tools, not grinding.
-Thoroughly clean inside and out, finishing with acetone.
-Weld inside and out with 4043 filler rod in one heat cycle.
-File back as you feel fit, cut out internal weld material with cutter, and ream out to spec.

The frame would need normalising first (1 hr @ 525C), then quenched (Back to room temp @ minimum 10C/sec).
Then re-aligned within 8 hours and immediately artificial aged back to T6 temper (5hrs @175C).

There are UK companies that will do this, but they are used to doing big batches of aerospace work in large batches.
Expect to pay £400+ for a single item, and to do the re-alignment yourself, so this is usually just for the Klein collectors...
Capalex
Alloyheat
Hauck
HT2000

Depending on how much tube length is available, it would probably be more cost effective to have the tube welded as above.
Then shrink fit a stainless ring on the exterior as a reinforcement band like on this Almega:

All the best,

Attachments

• almega3_212.jpg
    almega3_212.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 241
Re:

True, but that's just for the full return museum pieces...the weld and reinforcing ring is a pretty cheap option to keep any old frame running.

All the best,

Re:

Hey guys!

Thanks for your advice! The frame in question is a 1995 kids zaskar that takes 20” wheels, still umming and arring jf to get it done or not :S

Re:

It could be very cool...this one turned up on Facebook recently:

All the best,

Attachments

• facebook_1587150938381_6656993529458297316.jpg
    facebook_1587150938381_6656993529458297316.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 157
Re:

Woah that’s awesome, do you have a link? Is this one for sale as buying one that isn’t cracked might save me a lot!!

Re:

Scratch that thought I had seen somewhere this is Vins, his daughter is still shredding on it, bloody awesome he already knows I’m after it >:D

Back