Hope C2 callipers on an Orange Mr XC?

Gazjacko

Dirt Disciple
Aiming to get this Mr XC back on the road and found in my bits box a pair of Hope calipers which I think are C2s. Offered them up against 160mm rotors and they are miles off!b
Adapter available anyone? The fork is a Magura ‘Rond Quake’

Attachments

• 9608A5CF-A180-4373-9C5B-9F117132B345.jpeg
    9608A5CF-A180-4373-9C5B-9F117132B345.jpeg
    692 KB · Views: 350
  • 51FECF2D-90B9-44DA-A536-8369E4993620.jpeg
    51FECF2D-90B9-44DA-A536-8369E4993620.jpeg
    699.9 KB · Views: 350
Re:

Hope HBIS20 adapter for the rear? This would take an IS mount to a +20mm rotor with an IS Caliper.

Not sure about the front. Could you take a picture side on? It might just need the same HBIS20 adapter.

Re:

You have xc4 Calipers there, depending on the caliper number they will need 145/165/185mm discs that’s why your 160 is way off. The rear is probably a No5 which on the back should be 145mm disc which is why it’s way off. You could use the adapter suggested above but you will still need a 165 disc. Not sure On The front (assume your disc is 160) as it should actually be that the disc is 5mm to small. Or they happen to be one of the non standard caliper numbers.

Re:

Thanks, I’ve got an IS +20 adapter on the way to offer up, the Hope ones are like hens teeth! Will update (with clearer pics) when it arrives

Re: Re:

Timoth27":25nia4d5 said:
You have xc4 Calipers there, depending on the caliper number they will need 145/165/185mm discs that’s why your 160 is way off. The rear is probably a No5 which on the back should be 145mm disc which is why it’s way off. You could use the adapter suggested above but you will still need a 165 disc. Not sure On The front (assume your disc is 160) as it should actually be that the disc is 5mm to small. Or they happen to be one of the non standard caliper numbers.

Sorry Tim, but wasn't the XC4 150mm/130mm and they could only be used with hope hubs. Distancing or such :?

Its an odd size so you might be lucky searching for that size given the xc4 has a poor rep, although that said I've not used them to rate them and I've heard people claim C2's are rubbish when its clear they aint a clue.
Other routes is to use an adaptor thats close to make a pattern you can increase or decrease. There are folk here with mini mills and if you can work out the details I'm sure someone wil give it a go.
Not that they're doing much at the moment anyhow :LOL:

They had a 175mm which I always wondered what it went on, so it could be the front xc4 +20mm. that said I dont know, might be for some obscure fork.

Or email Hope. They cut rotors and do custom stuff like that. They'll likely already have all the old spec pre programed in

Re: Re:

dyna-ti":2nru77as said:
Timoth27":2nru77as said:

Sorry Tim, but wasn't the XC4 150mm/130mm and they could only be used with hope hubs. Distancing or such :?

Its an odd size so you might be lucky searching for that size given the xc4 has a poor rep, although that said I've not used them to rate them and I've heard people claim C2's are rubbish when its clear they aint a clue.
Other routes is to use an adaptor thats close to make a pattern you can increase or decrease. There are folk here with mini mills and if you can work out the details I'm sure someone wil give it a go.
Not that they're doing much at the moment anyhow :LOL:

They had a 175mm which I always wondered what it went on, so it could be the front xc4 +20mm. that said I dont know, might be for some obscure fork.

Or email Hope. They cut rotors and do custom stuff like that. They'll likely already have all the old spec pre programed in

No need to be sorry mate I bow down to your superior hope knowledge and apologise to the op for possibly giving him false info. I didn’t know the xc4 was different to the rest, I just went from the (very limited re xc4) info I could find on the hope website. Ever days a school day.

:oops: ach .....

I think there is an adaptor though, I have seen reference ot one, but I dont know the model No, or who'd have it.
As ever a phone call to hope solves many problems, and you never know, you might get an operator knows their history.

My knowledge is scant really, and theres loads of gaps in it. It's the joint combined knowledge on here that gives RB the edge over pretty much all the other forums.

Certainly we hold the record for sub forums :LOL: its about 70

Moral of the story is not everything you see at the car boot is a bargain!
Ok, with the help of Hope technical support following the excellent advice from yourselves it’s established that they are indeed XC4 callipers so the levers are a ‘closed’ system. Here’s where I decide what to do now. I’m confident I can fit the callipers and source suitable discs be it 145/165/185 so I switched my attention to the levers. One has a black reservoir cap with a silver adjuster on top ( all a bit rough from use) that appears seized onto the cap. The other, I now know, has a replacement reservoir cap (silver) that’s wrong for a closed system. On removing this it’s clear the piston locating thread, has sheared (I think it may be reverse thread from the Hope literature which might explain why it broke, the cap is missing and the piston is stuck within the reservoir). The replacement could possibly be modified to allow adjustments, but sourcing a cap specific for the system would be preferable.
Question
1- how likely am I going to find a ‘closed’ system reservoir cap ?
2- can I source other levers or do XC4 callipers ONLY work on a closed system?
3- is it time to give up and worth me moving them on either via eBay or on here?

Re:

1-quite possible, I’m sure there are broken levers in spare boxes all over the place (me including,I’ll go look)

2- you have 2 options. Sport and pro have a look here

https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/ ... man1-1.pdf

3- totally depends on you. Scap/flog them and replace with something more modern or stick with it and put up a wanted ad On here.

Did hope confirm the disc sizes? As dyna-mentions above they might be an odd size.

Re:

Thanks,
As for disc size, I sourced an HBIS20 adapter from ishaw on here and think its going to be 165/145 F/R with that, though a couple of aftermarket ones hint that 185 might be a possibility.
I’m going to see if others on the forum can help with the reservoir cap.
Also, a close system Caliper won’t work with open system levers according to Hope, now I am not going to say they’re wrong but I just can’t see why not.

Back