TI Frame ID Please :)

Zanoli

Old School Hero
Hi all,

I picked up this unknown mid 90's Ti MTB frame... it has some very distinctive features (noodle cable guides) and i'm sure someone here would be able to help ID it (please see pics).
It's a size 19" and weighs around 1400g. The serial number that's partly unreadable (big scratch) starts with an A and finished with 22C6.
Besides IDing it i have a couple questions :

- there are shims on the headtube (top and bottom) : are they here to welcome a 1" fork in a 1/8 tube (and could be removed) ? Or to strenghten up this area (and thus should be left as is) ?
- Are Teflon hoses still the best way to run cables through this type of guide ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• Dropouts.jpeg
    Dropouts.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 407
  • Shims.jpeg
    Shims.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 406
  • Cable G.jpeg
    Cable G.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 407
  • Unk Ti Frame.jpeg
    Unk Ti Frame.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 406
Re:

Externally reinforced headtube and noodles suggests Russian made to my knowledge.

The dropouts look the same as those on my early Raleigh Torus annnnnd that where the similarities end...

Re:

My torus had nicer dropouts and wishbone stays. Cant help with the id I'm afraid but have you tried a headset for size? I've had and still have a selection of ti frames and some have had a seat post shim from factory, but none a headset shim. Not saying this was never done, but could be a reducer to allow a different headset size as you suggest.

Re: Re:

ishaw":khumwygr said:
My torus had nicer dropouts and wishbone stays. Cant help with the id I'm afraid but have you tried a headset for size? I've had and still have a selection of ti frames and some have had a seat post shim from factory, but none a headset shim. Not saying this was never done, but could be a reducer to allow a different headset size as you suggest.

You got me thinking... i'm chatting bob, they are similar-ish but im now thinking the dropouts are similar to a mid-90s saracen I had... here is pic of my early '93 Dyna Torus...

Attachments

• 20190819_170916_resized.jpg
    20190819_170916_resized.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 355
Re: Re:

Woz":j4r7ei8m said:
Externally reinforced headtube and noodles suggests Russian made to my knowledge.
Thanks for pointing Russian made. KGB Cycles made some polished TI frames with very similar noodles (model MIG 3.3). Any other ideas of Ti builders using noodles ? Can't seem to find much...
Regarding the shims : didn't find any pic of shims-reinforced head tube yet... now wondering : effective HT reinforcement should focus on the welds area instead of just tube edges (not much stress there ?). What do you think ?
TOMAS":j4r7ei8m said:
The dropouts look the same as those on my early Raleigh Torus annnnnd that where the similarities end...
Yes, unfortunately, love these Torus :)
ishaw":j4r7ei8m said:
Will measure the head tube to make sure...
I too have Ti frame that has a seat tube shim reinforcement (way thinner) starting on the edge of the tube and running (probably) all the way down. Seat tube edge is prone to cracking on some Ti frames - it's less the case with head tube, isn't it ?
nobby the sheep":j4r7ei8m said:
Think it’s a DNA they came out of Russia.i suspect the shin in the headtube is for extra strengthening
Thanks. Coulnd't find a DNA model with noodles yet... As for reinforcement i'm still unsure (see above) will have to investigate furtther !

Regarding my other question : i guess Teflon is still the best way to go for theses cables guides ?

Thank you all !

Thanks ! Apparently all 90's russian Ti frames came from the same source...

Any other idea of a builder that would use this type of cable guides ? I tend to associate 90's russian titanium with re-branded frames and noodles with boutique / high end stuff, so i'm facing a little of a paradox here.

Cheers

Re:

Odd that the frame would have ring reinforcing and also cups, have you tried putting a 1" headset in to see if they are reducing cups for fitting a 1" headset in an 1"1/8 head tube....?

It would reduce your search perimeter at least, if so.

Back