'94 John Tomac's Raleigh USA race bike saddle identification

Re:

They were Tioga branded, made by Showa.
Similar forks were available on Trek’s high-end bikes at the time but the exact blue fork was never avalaible for the public to buy. I guess Tioga just didn’t want Johnny to have RockShox or Manitou branding there.

Re: Re:

Archangel":32a3msja said:
BTW: Now when I took a better look at the photos, I can tell that the fork on the bike is a RockShox Mag 20 from 1992.
If everyhing else is scratched with 4-94 (for some reason beyond my understanding), why would there be a 2-year old fork on JT's bike. No way.
Also noticed this. But I seem to remember Yeti team racers riding Manitou 2 forks with Manitou 3 internals. Why not just Manitou 3 forks? So I thought this could be the case here with this Mag 20 and something special/different inside.

Archangel":3m8htoro said:
That catalog pic is an advert shot, not a photo from a race (no race numbers to be seen).
Also the video shows some kind of advert group ride, it's not a race that's going on in there.
JT would ride whichever bike Raleigh would ask him to in the ads but I've never seen any race pics of him on this kind of a bike.
What video, please?
OK, it's an advert shot. However, here's what bikemeister2000 (RSP authority on RB ;-)) was telling about Raleigh MTi1000 in http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... mp;t=68744:
bikemeister2000":3m8htoro said:
John Tomac was not involved in the design or manufacture, However he did race one prior to the product launch and won the Sea Otter Classic on it and also a race in Australia.
Aren't there pictures of these events?

FOUND IT! The Pearl Izumi bike, in thumbnail (with a Tioga fork rather than Mag 20 and other different components though):
tomac-raleigh1_velonews-superbikes1993.jpg

tomac-raleigh2_velonews-superbikes1993.jpg

foxb13":3of8hbkd said:
Archangel":3of8hbkd said:
I seem to remember Yeti team racers riding Manitou 2 forks with Manitou 3 internals. Why not just Manitou 3 forks?

That was because this happened in 1993 season when Answer was selling Manitou 2. Manitou 3 was coming out in 1994 so the sponsored racers used prototype forks with Manitou 2 lower legs.
Similarly, but more visibly, RockShox’s top racers got Mag 21 SL/Ti forks in mid-93 and the fork was published for sale as 94 model. In 94 season RockShox DH racers used a red prototype fork dubbed ’Diablo’ - it became a 1995 Judy DH...etc. etc.

I dont know if that is Tomac's actual race bike, but he did race one of those at the 1992 Australian national championships. Only time I have come actross him actually racing one.
I was all gutted as the ti/carbon is my fav bike and he turned up on this junker, it was in all the local mags, there were some good shots of him blitzing everyone in the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH9zkz-vs-w

T'boo Ted":1xix9zdi said:
I dont know if that is Tomac's actual race bike, but he did race one of those at the 1992 Australian national championships. Only time I have come actross him actually racing one.
I was all gutted as the ti/carbon is my fav bike and he turned up on this junker, it was in all the local mags, there were some good shots of him blitzing everyone in the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH9zkz-vs-w
Thanks for the info. 1992? That old? But you're right, it's the exact same bike: http://www.sydneycyclist.com/photo/john-tomac-sydney-opera-house.
I didn't knew that the Showa-made blue Tioga fork was that old too!

Tht's the thing, is it Tomacs actual bike, or is it a bike someone has made as a replica... from the details of the markings on the parts, it could well be... but I've only come actross him racing it at that one event in OZ...which of course doesn't mean he didnt race on it more... but with the PearlIzumi stickers, which is later the rock shox which is earlier... probalby raced in OZ, then turned into a test hack. I think the bike ended up being owned/given to by the owner of PealIzumi

Latest posts

Back