Building a xizang - what forks?

tonybrown5

Retro Guru
Hi all, I'm building a98 xizang at present (I know this is to 97 but the other forum tends to be far more modern in chat). I have a spare set of red r/shox Judy xc hydracoil which are in ok condition - a little ally bubbling just starting under the paint but you can't see unless you look closely.
Firstly what are these forks like to ride as I got them on a strip down bike so not ridden then myself?
Secondly what's better out there keeping roughly year specific?

Attachments

• 20191123_103851_copy_907x1612.jpg
    20191123_103851_copy_907x1612.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 364
98 sid or Yellow Judy SL.

b56191dbf9f2f0afb3f5b7b884684751.jpg

Re:

I'd consider other options,but it depends on what you plan for the rest of the build. Are you sticking to 'period' or modernising (ti frames wear modern parts well imho and experience).

Also depends on whether you want a fork you can use and abuse and service or not. Don't get me wrong, judy sls were good forks in their day, and I've had many that I've serviced but when you compare their performance to a more modern fork, night and day, and when you need to service them, parts aren't thstveady to come by, and if you aren't hands on, you'll struggle to find a service shop that will do it for you.

The latter is the reason I sought alternative but modern forks for my retro builds. I've been lucky enough to find/make modern forks fit older frames. For example, a few years back I bought some fox float fit disc only forks, and sourced some v lowers for them. Both were new, and with a lower leg transplant, a travel reducer and I ended up with a set of 80mm travel top of the line forks for my 98 sts. These forks will be fitted to my 93 team rts as I've sold the sts. Amazing fork when compared to the 98 options like Judy or marz.

Since that successful venture, I've also ended up with a couple of 32mm sid world cups, all built up from nos parts that I've searched for over time, and with v brake lowers.

In conclusion, modern forks are out there if you find some or are prepared to build them/modify.

If you want period, and to follow the usual xixang formula, Judy is the way to go, but marz are probably better. I'd be tempted to go Judy fsx. Best retro fork I had was an FSX with Englund air upgrade and a styff carbon brace. Looked awesome and worked really well, but who knows how much a set like that would cost these days? 98 sids are nice too of course.

Re:

Thanks all. I want a red or yellow fork which rules out the sids that are blue for that age. I'm going reasonably period, group will be m740 xt as I want silver rather than the grey that is xtr.
Cranks are silver Avalon starlights, very rare and will be a nice taking point.
Wheels are yellow hub mavic crossmax.
Stem is a black race face deuce so a little newer, headset a red anodized race face set.
Seat post a black modern Thomson with a NoS black flite.
It will not be a garage queen hence does need to be useable but without going ultra modern. Bars will however, likely be a modern riser of some sort.

Re:

If it was going to be a rider I’d go Z2 or as a wild card have some later rebas painted in Judy yellow?

Back