Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Re: Re:

Caramba Kid":1yjb1qw9 said:
ibbz":1yjb1qw9 said:
Caramba Kid":1yjb1qw9 said:
Here you go - MT5 Metal Matrix frame, full M900 XTR, Mavic 231 CD rims, Michelin Wild Gripper Lite S tyres, ITM titanium stem, un-branded titanium bars, USE titanium post (being refurbed)

Wow! That’s an actual - or looks like, a race bike such as the one on display (or was) in the Hope factory - simply stunning in every way - congratulations! Tell us more about this - the story behind it

It's one of David Baker's last race bikes from 1994 season before he joined GT for the 1995 season.
I bought it off his neighbour/friend/riding buddy in Dronfield.
Thank you! Rare as hens teeth

Has anyone peeled off the plastic coating on their 1994/1995 M Trax Ti 1000 / 2000 / 3000 / 4000 frame and got decent results? On my Ti 3000 the paint under the plastic looks exactly the same with or without the plastic coating, so I've been wondering what was the purpose of the plastic coating in the first place?

I suppose the easy answer is for me to just tyr and a see what happens.

ultrazenith":24j0h3s4 said:
Has anyone peeled off the plastic coating on their 1994/1995 M Trax Ti 1000 / 2000 / 3000 / 4000 frame and got decent results? On my Ti 3000 the paint under the plastic looks exactly the same with or without the plastic coating, so I've been wondering what was the purpose of the plastic coating in the first place?

I suppose the easy answer is for me to just tyr and a see what happens.

Im in exactly the same position as you, I also have a Ti3000 purple M-Trax and the paintwork on the main tubes lets it down (Badly). Awaiting answers to the above, I'd also love to know what the 'plastic' is - im inclined to believe it is not lacquer or lacquer as we know it? :)

Re:

I have my dads old purple technium peak, I saw technium mentioned a few times in the thread.... are technium peak and Dynatech similar? I’m in the USA, never heard of a Dynatech

Re:

The Technium range was produced by Raleigh USA, and was also available in the UK, in the late 80's. The range started with road bikes in 1983 (ish) and pre-dates Dynatech which were a UK product from 1990.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that Dynatech was an evolution or development of the Technium products.

They were from a time when Raleigh were still making gigantic frame sizes. I think there were 4 mtb models available in the UK, with the Chill being the range-topper.

There are people here far more knowledgeable about this than I am, so I'm going to stop before I get shot down.

Markybeau":1wb6bczi said:
The Technium range was produced by Raleigh USA, and was also available in the UK, in the late 80's. The range started with road bikes in 1983 (ish) and pre-dates Dynatech which were a UK product from 1990.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that Dynatech was an evolution or development of the Technium products.

They were from a time when Raleigh were still making gigantic frame sizes. I think there were 4 mtb models available in the UK, with the Chill being the range-topper.

There are people here far more knowledgeable about this than I am, so I'm going to stop before I get shot down.

Calling bikemeister2000 calling bikemeister2000 ....

If memory serves, Raleigh UK and Raleigh USA were mostly separate operations, and with the exception of some high end frames (like the Torus) that were available in both markets, the bikes were different. The Technium range (i.e., the Chill and Peak models) can be thought of as Raleigh USA's own Special Products range, and are superficially similar to some of the early 90s RSP frames in that they used bonding to put together different metals in the same frame. The Techniums I've seen had alloy main tubes instead of the titanium/steel used in the Dynatechs, and the bonding process was slightly different as well. This is just a summary of what I remember being written somewhere on this thread years and years ago,,,

Scvintage":2etvo8j7 said:
I have my dads old purple technium peak, I saw technium mentioned a few times in the thread.... are technium peak and Dynatech similar? I’m in the USA, never heard of a Dynatech

Peak was the top model with XT kit.
Check out the 1991 Raleigh Dynatech catalogue (German copy) in Archive & Gallery.

Screen shot:

Attachments

• Technium.png
    Technium.png
    175.4 KB · Views: 242
There was also the Technium Sheer which had a carbon fibre downtube, only seen one of them ever come up for sale.

Back