BB help

Someone on here may have one which they can lend you via the post. I regret I have never had one otherwise I would pop it in the post to you as a quick loaner....

I wouldn't worry about taper, it's only Campagnolo and old French chainsets that were ISO. The BB is too short, end-of.

Hi guys, thank you again! im going to pop up a quick post on the wanted section to lend some tools, it is strange though as on closer inspection it does say japan, were phil woods made in japan?

No definitely not...at least not according to all the literature and advertising. But are you referring to the text on the bearing seals - ie the pink plastic dust covers in the bearings? If they are Japanese bearing that’s entirely feasible since the JP bearings were thought to be very high quality then.

And if this is a short Phil Woods original BB then there will be a knife-fight amongst the richer members of the retro roady community in order to secure it at a crazily inflated price.

Zaskar and a Xixang?

My 1993 Zaskar is 127mm with a 73mm shell running Toplines or the original XT M730

The same chainset on another frame could be a 122 or 125mm axle depending on the width of the stays/ frame material.

Q factor doesnt really mean much for MTB as the width of the rear end varies so much between designs and models and BB shell width (68/ 73mm). Road is fairly consistent.

*looks like a Phil Wood BB by the way

https://www.velodrome.shop/index.php?p= ... nsQAvD_BwE

Hi again guys! Just had a quick gander online at some images and I’m pretty confident this is a Phil woods bb now as I’ve found some images and all the same numbers and codes and stuff are on the baring seals!

Guys I can’t thank you enough! The guy I bought the frame off when I asked what bb was in there he said “ugh I dunno a cheap Shimano I one”

I’ll update you when I get around to getting hold of a tool

Despite the Big Cheese’s scoffing at looking at Q - or should I just say ‘chainstay clearance’ you may be able to use the Phil Wood. If it’s the model I think it is then it’s like a Hope ti BB, and the design means that you can shift the BB to the right or left depending on where you put the cups. Check whether the arms are equidistant from the chainstays. If they are, and the drive side still fouls the chainstay, then the BB axle is too short. Sell the Woods for a lot, and buy a correct length replacement. But if the non-drive side is further out, and by enough to buy you clearance on the drive side, then you can keep the Woods...just re-fit with plenty of CoppaSlip, and get the non-drive side cup in the right position....install BB...and refit drive side cup. Done.

The guy asked for bottom bracket help. I.e a bottom bracket that fits. He just wants to ride a bicycle.

Q factor is for another day, theres no scoffing, it overly complicates a simple question.

Fit bottom bracket and chainset:

Does it scrape? No. Ride bicycle

Does it clank? No. Ride bicycle

Does the chain stay on? Yes. Ride bicycle

Back