Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Here is mine from over the years. The ogre is still built and needs a few tweaks, the Diablo is long gone, as the mtrax. The dyna curve is stripped for selling.

I'm getting some real inspiration to crack on with my builds from the last few posts, especially Longun's photos!

Was the Dynacurve frame resprayed at some point, or are those its original colours?

Sometimes I wish Raleigh had also done dynacurve 21" versions of their bonded titanium frames, to accommodate riders of 6 feet like me. Presumably Ti tubes aren't as easy or cheap to bend as steel ones, but it would have been nice. I sometimes tell myself Raleigh surely would have compensated for the lack of XL frames by making sure their bonded Ti 19" frames are strong enough to handle a 6 foot 3 giant like me using a 400 mm seat post... so far I've never had issues with such a set up,

These aren't mine (maybe they belong to someone here) but I thought was a good photo: the juxtaposition between the early and late Dynatechs, and the fact that it contains two of the best looking models. The metallic electric ocean blue on the Ti 2000 must be one of my favourite frame colours of all time, arguably the best of the M Trax lineup, only the Dynatech Diablos and Ogres look cooler.

31511792_2088379014524555_6774781189648547840_n.jpg

From another thread and another time (2013), this scan by Saulus has a review of the Ti2000s.

saulus":3p9we12u said:

I find it fascinating to read what reviewers thought of the bikes at the time when they were the state of the art. Apart from the apparent mistaken claim of there being 3 Ti tubes, what's also interesting is the criticism about the slow steering. God knows what the same reviewer would think about the XC bikes of 2020!!

Re:

There seemed to be a consistency in magazine reviews of Raleigh MTBs in the early to mid 90's, that were almost reluctant to give praise, and compliments were backhanded.

I was one of those persuaded to look elsewhere by the perception that they were second rate and slightly inferior to other more fashionable brands.

Older, wiser and not the callow, possibly even shallow, youth I was, I do, to some degree, regret being swayed by so-called informed opinion.

I think I was also led astray like that. For me it happened around the 1993/1994 transition, before then around my way we were all in awe of Dynatechs, having grown up riding fairly low Raleighs and having seen the Special Products Division bikes when we'd go into the main bike shop in town. But at some point anything from America, or a UK brand like Orange with their far eastern cromoly frames and slick marketing, were considered vastly superior despite not necessarily being so. That's not to say the more fashionable brands weren't as good, of course.

Re:

Keep me coming
Enjoying the comments photos and the scans of magazine reviews
I’ve to build my MT4 back up again - so far it’s an MT4 France with Royce BB and Mavic 316 headset.

Both of those are indeed my bike's also have a blue Diablo and recently sold a duo-tech 300,all ride great although the Ti2000 now has a shorter stem as my back didn't like original.
ultrazenith":2muknxpx said:
I'm getting some real inspiration to crack on with my builds from the last few posts, especially Longun's photos!

Was the Dynacurve frame resprayed at some point, or are those its original colours?

Sometimes I wish Raleigh had also done dynacurve 21" versions of their bonded titanium frames, to accommodate riders of 6 feet like me. Presumably Ti tubes aren't as easy or cheap to bend as steel ones, but it would have been nice. I sometimes tell myself Raleigh surely would have compensated for the lack of XL frames by making sure their bonded Ti 19" frames are strong enough to handle a 6 foot 3 giant like me using a 400 mm seat post... so far I've never had issues with such a set up,

These aren't mine (maybe they belong to someone here) but I thought was a good photo: the juxtaposition between the early and late Dynatechs, and the fact that it contains two of the best looking models. The metallic electric ocean blue on the Ti 2000 must be one of my favourite frame colours of all time, arguably the best of the M Trax lineup, only the Dynatech Diablos and Ogres look cooler.

31511792_2088379014524555_6774781189648547840_n.jpg

Re: Re:

ibbz":2i4r69ra said:
Caramba Kid":2i4r69ra said:
Here you go - MT5 Metal Matrix frame, full M900 XTR, Mavic 231 CD rims, Michelin Wild Gripper Lite S tyres, ITM titanium stem, un-branded titanium bars, USE titanium post (being refurbed)

Wow! That’s an actual - or looks like, a race bike such as the one on display (or was) in the Hope factory - simply stunning in every way - congratulations! Tell us more about this - the story behind it

It's one of David Baker's last race bikes from 1994 season before he joined GT for the 1995 season.
I bought it off his neighbour/friend/riding buddy in Dronfield.

Re: Re:

TOMAS":2o15u6j8 said:
Hey bud I think you'll find its a '93-'94 Torus IMO, same as mine but smaller :) Check the BB stamp to date it correctly :)

Hi Tomas you are right - D = manufactured in 1993, so could be a late 1993 or 1994 catalogue year.

Attachments

• IMG_2831.JPG
    IMG_2831.JPG
    521.8 KB · Views: 453
Back