Educating Peachy!

sinnerman":5nkg0wg1 said:
London is a huge place, my mum wouldnt have allowed me to venture too far even at 16, the bike gave me freedom, she never knew where i was when on the bike.... ;)

Yes, I often think of the double standard in my own life, in 1979 at the age of 11, me & my mates wouldn’t think twice about riding 12 miles across North London to visit the RAF museum at Hendon, we wouldn’t even bother telling our parents....

I can’t imagine letting my 13 yr old do that today!

The History Man":1ts4vpsg said:
Trying to remember the name of the shop in finchley where I got my 87 raleigh magnum (phwoar) passing by the red? Marin Pine mountain (i think) as it was way out of my league?.

Shorter/Rochford on the archway?

https://shorter-rochford.co.uk/history/

Re:

We had Super Cycles in Nottingham who dealt in Scott's and I was an avid reader of Mountain Bike Action, so was obsessed with anything American, but most of the bikes in the magazines I would never see in the flesh. I did see plenty of Marins and Cannondale's out on the Derbyshire hills though, but being from Nottinghamshire Raleigh's were the most common.

Peachy!":1i07gc6n said:
sinnerman":1i07gc6n said:
London is a huge place, my mum wouldnt have allowed me to venture too far even at 16, the bike gave me freedom, she never knew where i was when on the bike.... ;)

Yes, I often think of the double standard in my own life, in 1979 at the age of 11, me & my mates wouldn’t think twice about riding 12 miles across North London to visit the RAF museum at Hendon, we wouldn’t even bother telling our parents....

I owe everything to my Father, the bikes we built and what he showed me, and that day he gave me a wink, and said, When you go out on your bike, your mother wont know where you are, Be careful.

A lot of time spent, building a technical track for training at some woods about 5 mile from our house, which I still take my kids too for bike riding, the remaining time spent training on the road putting the miles in, and when using the MTB we would attack flights of steps, escalators, anything and everything to try and hone the skills we considered necessary for off road racing, all helped by magazine articles of course.

Our town had at least 9 or 10 different bike shops, and we would happily spend the day riding to them all to see all the bikes and collect the catalogues, each shop stocking there own brands, Even Halfords had the full Saracen range. Others stocking Raleigh, Tushingham, Marin, Specialized, Cannondale, Kona, Trek, Muddyfox, Lyiang, Peugeot, GT, Kona, Diamond back, etc etc.

To be fair, all of them stocked, Mainstream brands from the bottom to the top, all I would now consider to be blue collar, very few if any stocked the Boutique.
This was reserved for the magazines, or trips away to the big smoke or at least reserved for Race weekends before you could see any of it in the flesh.

Re:

I do vividly remember the very first Malvern hills Classic though.

You can imaginie the scene, You've got allsorts going on, Offroad bikes all fitted with the new flexstem, Cannondale Blazoned everywhere, MS racing, even two fellas taking out an Orange Clockwork out of the Boot of there car to show off there new enterprise, a SIngle bike, nothing More, but something that couldn't be missed even in the Dark......LOL.

And somewhere amongst all of the whoha, was a double decker bus, fitted out as a display case, a mobile showroom if you will, inside everything you could imagine from the Falcon group, (or at least I think it was in flacon ownership at this point, happy to be stood corrected). the bottom deck, all the kids bikes, the top deck right down the end, Claud Butler.

Whilst the idea was good, image was what was selling these bikes at the time, and the Claud Butler Cape Wrath in Black was quite cool, but it was SO overlooked by all the rest of the stuff around it, it did nothing to raise brand awareness, or even compete with all the cool that was on display outside the bus. Sadly.

Re:

I take my Hat off to you though Peachy, Ive been here nearly 10 years, and Claud Butler even far east frames painted as Lotus, were all overlooked and disregarded, until you joined.

You have opened Pandoras Box, you know that right....?

Aye. At 10 in the 70's I was off the RAF camp in West Berlin riding around the woods & the paths around the Havel, digging up WW2 stuff that would turn modern parents hair white. Being back for tea was the main rule.

Peachy!":1s4r3ejl said:
sinnerman":1s4r3ejl said:

I’m surprised it’s not a tv show in 2020. Four kids exploring around on bikes. Will they make it home with their lives AND the bikes.

Scvintage":1ls4iczh said:
Peachy!":1ls4iczh said:
sinnerman":1ls4iczh said:

I’m surprised it’s not a tv show in 2020. Four kids exploring around on bikes. Will they make it home with their lives AND the bikes.

Its a different world these days, of that there is no doubt.

:(

Re:

To the original question, I was 110% BMX back then... never even bothered looking at anything else. I even took my BMX bike to college in 1988. In 89 I got a trek 7000 and was hooked ever since. After 89 I would drool at the Klein paint jobs and in the bike shop. The bike shops in the college towns had all sorts of exotic mtb for the rich students.

Back