Is there a retro full sus bike which can still cut it?

mikesnowdon":3eqbs8he said:
Always wanted a Turner burner and still do....

Someday :(

EDIT: Just found this cool pic of a burner....

TurnerBurner.jpg

Pic is taken from here:

http://www.dirty-pages.net/forum/viewto ... a07301f474

Must get round to refurbing the Burner i picked up last year.......

turner.jpg

Re:

Thread resurrection!

I still get out on this 96/97 Marin Mount Vision, can it still cut it? Depends on your riding and definition of cutting it, for riding XC on a variety of forest road, single track, uphill and downhill I love it! I think anything pre 96/97 does really show its age the Mount Vision was really a game changer for your average XC/Trail rider and still works well though a lot of the modern riding is different what with DH and Trail Parks but for messing around in the woods or out on the Moors the Mount Vision is still a great ride.

Attachments

• IMG_6452.JPG
    IMG_6452.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 302
Re:

The modern curtis full bouncers look loads like the older marins, shame they didn't do a steel version eh?

Re:

Interesting thread. Wonder what bike or year is defined as the turning point for modern style full suss riding.

Cut it where :? XC of DH ?.

Word has it DH is out for 2020/21. so heavy duty sus might be a thing of the past, and im sure 90% of early sus can handle xc no probs.

I wouldn't think so - my 2004 Kona Stinky won't cut it against modern full sus and its miles ahead of anything produced in the mid 90's. Miles!

Re:

I quite enjoy my Giant MCM D990 from '97 - NOTHING on modern bikes and I mean NOTHING, but for its time it does ride really nice :)

Attachments

• 20190622_142755_resized.jpg
    20190622_142755_resized.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 243
Re: Re:

TOMAS":3v1b259y said:
I quite enjoy my Giant MCM D990 from '97 - NOTHING on modern bikes and I mean NOTHING, but for its time it does ride really nice :)

Do you have a build thread for your D990?
I have one I'm soon to build up :)

'97 was definitely the year when full sus. grew up. I bought a Marin Rift Zone.They were available from the back end of '96 so could fit into this category.
My '96 Proflex Attack LE is more of a soft tail but is OK for XC riding. The Rift Zone only had 3" of travel up front and really needed more. I fitted a Bomber with around 5" of travel but that was a bit too much. Never satisfied!
It's the length of the top tube/short stem thing that makes modern bikes so much better. You don't feel like you're going to go OTB like we did in the good old days.
My Whyte JW4 and PRST4 are unique. Short in the top tube but the non bobbing suspension is what suspension should be. I'm doing the Mary Towneley loop in April. It's 47 miles and 6,500 feet of climbing so my weapon of choice will be the JW4. It's light and should be ideal for this sort of ride.

Back