Has anyone built a Gravel bike using a retro frame

Re:

I might set one up for my son... I’ve caught him eyeballing the road bike handlebars at the bike shop. Do the road bike brake lever shifter doodads work nicely with 90’s Shimano lx? I’ve never owned a road bike

Re:

As long as you get road brifters of the same age and speed they should work.

Brakes are trickier road levers have the same pull ratio as early mtb canti brakes or look for an after market set of brakes called Mini-V's which are v brakes mainly used for cyclocross bikes.

Either way bear in mind that in my experience riding a retro gravel bike off road will be hairier than either a retro Mtb or a modern gravel bike. The subtley redesigned hoods and 1 finger hydraulic discs make a big difference on the rough stuff imo.

Re:

Or bar end shifters with drop bar brake levers specifically for V brakes. Flared drop bars are especially useful with bar end shifters.

rwm1962":1pa7a26w said:
I thought my retro hard tails were gravel bikes! :roll:

The marketing men (and women) disagree.

Many years ago one bike did everything, now everything needs a different bike! :facepalm:

Shimano MTB front mechs are tricky to pair up with road STI due to reach/ cable pull/ leverage but there are plenty of Shimano Road triple front mechs that are designed to run all sorts of chainring sizes

Shimano MTB rear mechs from 1987 to the last of the 9spd run perfectly with any Shimano Road STI up to 10spd (using 10spd chains) without any modifications

I've been using Dura Ace 10spd bar-cons with 1987 MT-60 f&r mechs without issue, they indexed really well

If running a 9spd front mech, use a 9spd chain as the cages are narrow - 8spd chains will rub.

9spd chains run very well on 7/8spd cassettes.

I'm also using Mountain LX f&r mechs with 9spd bar-cons and a 9spd chain/ cassette. Its all indexed nicely

The trick to get MTB front mechs to play nicely with road STI is to clamp the cable on the wrong side of the bolt. Ideally file a new notch and add an extra washer under the bolt, as the turning of the bolt tends to scrunch the cable backwards.

But as LGF says, bar-cons is a simpler solution. In my view indexed fronts cause more problems with rubbing than any added convenience.

Re:

Here is the link to my build. 9 speed shimano bar ends with 739ish vintage XT front and rear mechs, a 9 speed chain and a Biopace chainset salvaged from an old Kuwahara from the transfer station.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=364661

I've since replaced the brake levers with some used Tektro ones and slapped on a nice wide 46 cm bar with a modern brifter profile.

bjellys":2q5u047w said:
Has anyone built a Gravel bike using a retro frame if you have can I see some photos please also was it a worthwhile project or should I stick to riding retro mtb

Personally I stick to riding a retro MTB my Pace is great on the road and occasional gravel tracks so I don't see any point spending money I ain't got on a bike I don't need.

Attachments

• Wharfe.jpg
    Wharfe.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 476
Back