Can't fit disc caliper to 1996 Bomber Z2s

Re:

A2Z Make an adapter for old Manitou Post mount to regular IS mount.
If anyone wants this I'll pass it on as its not being used...

Attachments

• DSC_0294-01-1119x526.jpeg
    DSC_0294-01-1119x526.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 511
Re:

dyna-ti":ccd7qagr said:
dirttorpedo":ccd7qagr said:
Hey, I have the same issue. I rescued a Cove Stiffee from the transfer station and it had this excellent bomber with the odd disc tabs (on both side of the fork by the way). There is a guy in germany who custom makes adapters. I looked at the cost of the adaptor and shipping to Canada and decided to give up. I may just use the fork on my Zaskar with v-brakes.

It sucks because it would be a great fork for the kona Stinky build I have going on.

That should be the Z1 (Orange is it ?) 100mm travel. It had dual disc mounts, and imho should be kept aside and not used use because its the only one can do the dual front brake, which in itself is a hell of a project.

Yes, that's it. I'd happily trade the fork for a 4-5 inch QR fork with the correct IS tabs. If not it will go on my early 90's Zaskar.

Timoth27":ccd7qagr said:
birttorpedo Do you have the details of the guy in Germany? There’s 3-4 of us on here that want one so might be worth him running some off. Might even be able to forward one on to you cheaper than him posting direct???

No, sorry I can't find his webpage again.

Re:

I've just been on Faceballz, there's a Proflex members group over there, in which has been posted a Hammerhead FS - IS adapter for Marzocchi forks.

The CAD file is on the group page.

Not sure if this helps anyone?

Formula Standard to International standard adapter. 5mm stainless steel.
Make these at your own risk, I take no responsibility as I have no idea which material grade you might be using.

HammerHead FS-IS Adapter
The HammerHead FS-IS adapter allows IS (International Standard) Brake Callipers to be mounted onto FS (Formula Standard) Mounting lugs as found on many Marzocchi Forks right up until 1999.
We are able to offer this simple and robust solution to the problem for IS brake disc diameters and there is also an oversize adapter available that will allow the fitment of a larger 185mm disc rotor for example with the new Formula B4 brakes.

Basic instructions.

Remove any paint that is on the outside of the FS brake lugs before you fit the adapter plate, otherwise the adapter will settle into the paint under useage, some forks have a lot of paint on them. If the adapter settles after being used for a few days/weeks, you may need to retighten the mounting bolts (common sense really, sorry for trying to teach you how to suck eggs). After this settling/retightening has been carried out, you may need to re-shim/adjust the brake calliper spacing over your disc. Follow the disc manufacturers instructions for doing this.

Put the adapter plate on the fork mounting with both bolts loosely in place, use the washers under the bolt heads and under the nyloc nuts. Tighten the lower 5mm bolt first until it is almsot fully tight, be sure that it is sitting flat against the mounting lug surface. If it does not, you may need to remove a little material off the back of the adapter plate where the casting on your fork is obviously a little more generous than average. Then do the same with the upper bolt. Finally tighten the bolts firmly -IMPORTANT- lower one first.

Then insert the 6mm bolts through the adapter plate with a knurled washer under the head of each, slip the 8mm spacers over the bolts and thread them into your brake calliper. Keep an eye on how far they pass through the back of the calliper, if at all, as you may need to shorten one of the bolts if it is too long.

I have included bolts that are slightly longer than you may need, this is to ensure that they are long enough… it is easier to cut a bolt to make it shorter than it is to make it longer!!

Set the brake calliper over the disc as per your brake manufacturers instrucions using shims to achieve this.

You might not use all of the spacers, shims and washers in the kit….. use just enough to centralise the brake calliper over the disc….or according to your brake manufacturers instructions. If after useage you find that the brake disc is rubbing the brake pads, remove or add shims to readjust, this is just usually caused by the paint on your fork settling under the loads of the brake adapter and/or your new brakes bedding in.
And go ride your bike.......

Can I ask how many people need FS to IS and how many (like me) actually need FS to Post Mount and would just use the hammerhead adapter as an intermediate stage?

Other way round ,
I have a Formula Standard (Z1 1996) brake from Hope (C2) - is there any adapter to IS 2000 brake mount?
thank you

B3's mount looks very nicely made, I'd take one for the original asking price - anyone selling one?

Latest posts

Back