Removing dents from box section alloy frames

yakboy

Manitou Fan
Been looking at an early San Andreas but it has a few dents in the mainframe, is it possible to pull out dents with heat and a paintless dent removal kit?

You risk softening the alloy with the heat, but in theory yes.

But, smooth depressions may work, anything with a crease will not.

Re:

I've got a paintless dent kit at home and have had success on steel. I've mailed the vendor for more pics of any damage and a serial number before I get too excited. It's way overpriced at the moment but is a 2 piece front mech tube and unsympathetic kit on it so may be what I'm looking for if the frame is not too beaten up.

yakboy":qec1no2c said:
Been looking at an early San Andreas but it has a few dents in the mainframe, is it possible to pull out dents with heat and a paintless dent removal kit?

I presume you're going for a polished alu finish?
I only ask 'cos I had 4 dents in mine and simply filled and painted over (well it was far from simple but hey). To be pessimistic, I think you'd struggle to get a perfect metal finish that a polished alu frame would demand.

Re:

Having seen further pictures of the frame, the dents are very small on one side of the lateral part of the mainframe, assuming the sale comes off I will see if I can remove them with my kit. Some bits will be polished and some not so I don't think they will be very noticable.

Re:

Not like this then?

What the hell was going on there?
I mean, that's not like he was polishing it up for days then noticed a tiny ding once it was all shiny.

Attachments

• 53212843_2229307760722460_4174181631541641216_o.jpg
    53212843_2229307760722460_4174181631541641216_o.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 328
Re:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I've seen quite a few San An's with huge dents near the headtube ( also there is the swingarm dent too!!) I don't know if it's a crease from a heavy landing...

No definitely not the size of the dents in my potential frame, they are about 3-4mm across!!

Latest posts

Back