Kona Choice

oldave

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Mainly subjective I expect, but which is "better", a 1991 Lava Dome or a 1995 Fire Mountain?! Equally very good condition. The Fire Mountain totally original, Lava Dome ditto except for upgraded but period brakes. I'm very rusty on such matters so any/all comments gratefully received. Thanks.

Re:

Well, technically the Lava Dome would be better as it sat a couple of rungs up the pecking order than the Fire Mountain. Although truth be told I doubt there's a great deal of difference in the frame material between the two frames.

I think perhaps the geometry might have changed slightly between '91 and' 95, I could be wrong there, but personally I always seem to get on better with the "later" 90's Kona's (I have a '94 Fire Mountain and a' 97 Lava Dome).

It is pretty subjective though, and I'd probably go with whichever fits you best frame size wise and whichever you like the colour of!

Thanks. Fire Mountain likely to be the better size - and I prefer its colour! I'll have time to try and then decide though - buying both on a bulk discount!

LD shared a frame with the higher up Cindercone, where the FM shared a frame with the lower Hahanna. CC/LD frame is usually double butted Cromoloy where the Hahanna/FM frame is straight gauge Cromoloy. LD is likely to offer a nicer ride and be a bit light too. If they are similar prices I'd be going for the LD personally if it fits.

Thanks. Getting both, so prices the same! Cheap enough to keep both for a while, but yes fit the clincher.

I was wondering the exact same thing. What helped me was an old Kona catalogue scan. You can use it to figure out the value scale of the frames. The tricky part is that some are listed with the rigid P2 fork vs "mountain shock" and "Kona custom"

This one is a little later, less comprehensive.

Attachments

• Kona_Preisliste_1996_Germany_.jpg
    Kona_Preisliste_1996_Germany_.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 794
  • K19973.JPG
    K19973.JPG
    486.7 KB · Views: 794
Re:

Interesting. The price range presumably also reflects the different components. Frame weights useful.

Also consider you're looking at a 1996 dealer price RRP and 1997 consumer RRP which can be two very different things!

As a general rule, Fire Mountains, Lava Domes and Cinder Cones share the same frame geometry and tubing BUT this does vary across some years and certainly more so after '97. The Hahanna's have a different and more relaxed geometry and usually have lesser grade chromoly tubes.

The other general rule is FM's and LD's would come with CM P2's with CC's TB P2's aka "Race Light". You had a similar variation with those fitted with front shocks aka "Mountain Shock" although it's fair to say, all suspension options fitted are horrible until '98.

Kona Custom was just that. If you had the money to get some of that, you probably weren't buying a FM, LD or CC...but that's just my opinion ;)

Back