Anyone recommend good chrome plating (preferably in the SW)?

slomo

Devout Dirtbag
Toying with the idea of treating my incredibly beat up old Marin to a coat of chrome.
I like the bare metal look and while it works perfectly with aluminium, i suspect that with steel it is a non starter.
'Google' recommends sourcing a 'traditional' triple plating service that uses copper? and nickel? underneath the chrome.
As opposed to simply applying the chrome to bare metal.....
It's likely expensive (relative to painting) so i want to try and ensure it's done right.
Any tips, insight, advice greatly appreciated.

Re:

Ive restored a few classic motorbikes and wouldn't personally recommend re-chroming due to its cost.If its to be done right it needs to be triple coated and that costs a fortune.I have found it cheaper to buy a brand new exhaust system than to re-chrome.It can be done(not triple coated) on the cheap but it will start pitting within a year or 2.

Chrome sticks poorly to steel. Furthermore it's porous, so that moisture gets through, rusting the steel underneath. Flaking then starts. The usual technique is indeed to plate first with copper which provided a better bond and (more importantly) gives a barrier layer. Even then, it will still rust eventually. If the frame is 753 then chroming is forbidden ans it causes embrittlement.

Plating isn't cheap, and you will have a lot of tricky cleaning up to do afterwards (e.g inside seat tubes and bottom bracket) as the frame will have to be fully immersed.

If you want the bare metal look consider also a clear powdercoat.

Re:

Agree with above,in our climate chrome is up against it and doesnt really last.When I restored my 60s Triumph I went out of my way to replace everything chrome with stainless-spokes/rims/fasteners/exhausts the lot.A clear powdercoat over bare metal would look cool.

Re:

Many thanks for the responses.
Taking the advice onboard, i will give the chroming a miss.
Might just go full 'rat' look - have it shot blasted and wipe it down with WD40 every now and then.
I'm not a million miles from that anyway..... :|

Re:

Thanks weeman! :)

Appreciate it.

Kona looks good - perhaps a little too good :? for what im after.....

I just love bare metal!

Back