Orange Clockwork? Prestige? Frame weight and feature help

My Oct '93 (solid orange) Clockwork has that typeface, orange oranges but letters are solid blue/purple. Think they did a few variations to match the various paint schemes. There are lots of helpful pics on this site. No doubt gil can offer some that will be just right..

Re:

and so it goes on
the previopus attached orange white fade 93 picture is the only orange and white fade i have found that is the same model as mine with the combined top tube cable guides
i think mine was previousely flouro orange all over as i found orange remnants around the bottle bosses on the down tube but its possible the white was put on last but unlikely as its the appropriate base colour
as mine is a may 93 then i guess it could be appropriate to have the older decals or the newer ones
the older ones just look much nicer to my eye but i am OCD about getting things right
a friend of mine has a 93 that is all white and his decals look ok and appropriate
the bike is a keeper so i guess it doesnt matter which one is the CORRECT one as it doesnt matter if it devalues it

headache continues

Attachments

• michael 1.png
    michael 1.png
    858.5 KB · Views: 508
Hey Chris, always go with what you like- never mind the notional value. Maybe a potential buyer would prefer your choice anyway..
Think you're right about the paint- the white is the base, so if you found orange on the bottle bosses your frame was probably all orange, like mine.
The decals on the white Clockwork look great. I wish mine had black lettering, much better than purple- too 70's for me, even if I was a teenager then (and I was)..
Regards, Steve.

Re:

Orange Aluminium-O in 'black' plastic looking are just sprayed over the satin silver colours.
I think they resprayed other models to near the end. Why waste a good frame.
It just a frame, do it whatever colour and whatever decals you want.
Though black with 'future' decals works for me ;-)
Not sure what the correct name for that style was ....
Toptube routed and does it have the wheel it can use behind the seattube, above the bottom bracket.

Re:

There was a cross over between the decal styles with the newer one first starting to appear in 1992 and the older ones certainly still in the shops in 1993 so I think you could justifiably use either as although the later decals were more than likely used on yours you would have been able to request the older type. Back then you could buy replacement decal kits and touch up paint anyway.

Not sure which month it’s in but there’s a MBUK article from around 92 about Orange and Pace that says they had bought a new decal machine and were spending all their time messing around with it hence why there’s so many variations.

Re:

Thought I'd drop in after not being on here for a loooooong time, hi.

I have the artwork for those decals if you need it, though Gil_M should also have it as I drew it up for him a few years back whilst refurbing this:

IMG_4503_sm.jpg

There are a few threads talking about the authenticity of the decals here but I can confirm that they were used by Orange, definitely mid-1992 as that's when I bought this from Stif in Leeds. Originally a 10-speed Suntour groupset with indexed thumbies and greaseguard ports on everything. Loved it.

Rides like a dog compared to modern bikes though :LOL:

Re:

Yes that's a 1993 bike, the give away is the wheel for the front mech.
I'm guessing, but 'mid' is probably August or September? The traditional model year switchover for most bikes at that time.

What the Frame number (A1234...)

just realised i should have updated this ages ago, thanks to Gil_M it has decals exactly as i wanted them, ithink they are correct but if not then they are a more refined version of what they should have had as they arent single colour, GIL_M did a great job, better than the painter for sure as he didnt put the fade where i told him to but overal it looks great, since this picture it has had a full black LX upgrade where it was previously a mix of LX and 1 year later STX.
i love it and its the bike i wanted when i was 17 and it rides like a dream......with an exception, i have swapped out the saddle for my preferred modern one as the orange one gave me numb nuts, might have to switch out the grips too as they are rock hard ritchey ones.
clockwork orange.JPG

I don't suppose anyone could tell me the exact year of my clockwork orange? All original suntour gears and crank ect ... I'm after a original seat post seat and bars if anyone knows anyone? Any info would be appreciated.. been debating if I should keep it or not.. I got it for sentimental reasons but when I ride it my toes touch the front wheel! Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220822-172536_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-172536_Instagram.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 17
Back