Cracked titanium - Orange Vit T2 seat tube

rwm1962":1avko1fy said:
Woz":1avko1fy said:
A good welder is a good welder; doesn't have to be in the bike industry. Probably one reason the old Sandviks are so good.

I read on here the T2's were made by Sandvik. This is isn't a weld this time but it does have a previous cracked weld repair on the drive side chain stay/bottom bracket joint. That was repaired by previous owner by some guy who made Ti exhausts for drag bikes.

The repair weld looks good. Now your frame is back, any chance you could post up a picture of the bottom bracket shell?

Virtually any frame made by Sandvik USA is easy to confirm. Frames made with Sandvik tubes, but not made by them far less so.

Ah, so sorry. I meant the underside.

A while ago Pip started a thread and along with contributions we think we got far in some Sandvik production details:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=396211

EDIT: PS: I had a Parkpre crack twice similar to that.

With some certainty, this frame was not made by Sandvik in Kennewick, USA. The serial number format and font does not match.

I've seen this serial number format before though, thinking it was on an anniversary Clockwork I had.

Thanks. Aye, it's the standard format I've seen on Clockworks & P7's. I reckon 93 build year, likely '94 to market.

P'ing me off greatly now. On closer inspection with best readers on the top of the seat tube is slightly unround. Not quite ovalised. There's a slight step, more noticeable on the ID circumference at the weld on one side of the crack.

I may try a thin sliver of shim in the small gap this creates. Fiddley.

I'll ride it & hope for the best. If it cracks again I'll get a steel frame of same vintage & swap the parts across.

My 1st & last Ti frame! I've even gone off the possibility of getting a new Sonder Broken Road.

Steel is Real!

Back