Narrow 'bars piece, on GMBN..

Re:

Saw that earlier,I run 740mm on my trail bike and 660mm on my xc bikes.I recently revisited a trail I hadn't ridden in 20 years and the difference was night and day with my current 50mm/740mm compared to my 90s 120mm/500mm.

Same sort of setup on the moderns, 760mm on a moderate rise for the big rig.

I built my Zaskar frame up in 94, with USE bars at 520 iirc and 140mm of I-beam. I hated that bike for doing any technical or trialsy stuff on, which is what it was mostly built for (wannabe Hans Rey).

When I rebuilt it a few years back with some modern bars (and less of a tiller, for a stem) it had been transformed, into a really great little rider.

Not all approve of modern parts, but what a capable little bike it is with them!

Attachments

• photo-10.JPG
    photo-10.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 595
  • photo-11.JPG
    photo-11.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 595
  • photo-12.JPG
    photo-12.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 595
Re:

I've yet to watch that (no time at the mo or I'll be late setting off to ride) my mate used to have bars so narrow on his dawes commuter back in the day, he could fit either brake levers, or shifters, but not both, on his bars, so he converted to old road style shifters on the down tube haha!

I love my wide bars these days, makes you/me wonder what we were thinking back then, but then again some can be 'too' wide..

I saw a comment on a Facebook group last night "wide bars save lives" and I didn't reply as you get drawn into silly internet arguments that way 'my opinion is better than yours' and such.

But I rode a trail a few months back with some of the local-ish chaps from here, on my '18 stumpy and we were flying down one tree lined section, which suddenly narrowed into a little bridge over a stream/drainage ditch, and it was covered in ivy and other woodland growth so I only realised it was there as I flashed over it @ 20mph+
Not a problem for my 700+ mm bars on the stumpjumper, but if I'd been on my '19 pace hardtail with its 800+ mm carbon bars, they would have 100% struck the bridge and I would have been in a very broken/upset heap...

Wide bars would not have been saving lives there :LOL:

Latest posts

Back