Deore Cantilevers too high for my 26" rims?

cycletothesea

Retro Guru
I have some nice Shimano Deore Cantilevers (the vertical type) and I'm fitting them to a Dawes Ranger with 26" Shimano Deore wheelset. But even when I push the brake assembly down to the lowest point on the fitting the brake pads have to be angled 'downwards' at 30˚ to hit the rim and avoid the tyre walls and the brake pads are on an angle to the rim surface. Have I just got the wrong brake set somehow.

Re:

A photo of what you mean would help.
U-Brake/Rollercam brake posts are mounted higher up than canti brakes, you sure it's a canti brake frame/fork?
Are the wheels definately 26"/559 rims?

Re:

A quick check of the measurement of the distance between the axle and brake pivot/post centre lines should be
around 10 inches ± 1/8

This dimension being correct , will confirm the possibility of fitting any type of brake that you want , except those already mentioned above

I can't imagine what the ' wrong brake set ' could be ? except that I think you should be fitting some wide profile cantilevers ( as originally fitted )
anyway ! though its obviously your decision

Original fitment were awful Suntour cantilevers or equivalent. And boss location was a bit weird I recall....

Attachments

• 5348F313-B677-4623-8BEB-9A9C52227D68.jpeg
    5348F313-B677-4623-8BEB-9A9C52227D68.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 796
2manyoranges":2x5eaz2i said:
Original fitment were awful Suntour cantilevers or equivalent. And boss location was a bit weird I recall....

Mine came with Shimano BR-AT50. Pretty sure that’s standard...

1980's MTB canti boss placement is definitely an issue - I have exactly the same problem with my bikes from that era. I use Froglegg, Kore, AT-50 but later Shimano ones wont fit properly due to boss placement.

Re:

Nope - shimano were not standard, I think.

Friend Ant and I each had a Dawes Ranger in Brown (hmmmm) and both had Suntour groupset and (Suntour) Dia Compe brakes, with the bosses in a weird place.....

Norfolk.....may as well have been for all the good they did in slowing you. On bloody Venus about as good. Screaming when going full tilt down flint strewn rutted tracks off the South Downs seemed to slow you more than pulling on the sodding levers....

God it’s all coming back .... after one outing I investigated why the rear brakes were so crap on the Ranger ... essentially, pulling the lever caused the brake blocks to lightly touch the rims. From that point onwards, any additional force at the lever simply bent the tiny, round section seat stays outwards....complete rubbish

Back