Best way to smooth the inside of a seat tube

Just one point to add - I've always done this with the frame upside down in the workstand so that the muck falls out rather than down into the frame.

Re: Re:

k-rod":31smuae3 said:
Best to be aware, however, that after all is said and done ... your seat-tube diameter will subsequently be slightly larger ... so you just may need to go up a smidge or two in seat-post size as well.

:idea:

Only if you’ve followed the bad advice on here and gone at your seattube with a half round file...

I'd second the vote for a Flex-hone for a quick clean out:

Or even better an expanding cylinder hone.
Since they have sprung rigid 'wiper' blades, these tend to just take any high spots out, without honing all round.

£6.20 for a small one on Amazon:

All the best,

Attachments

• Flex Hone.jpg
    Flex Hone.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Cylinder hone.jpg
    Cylinder hone.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 169
Re: Re:

mechanicalvandal":6h1i3e2g said:
k-rod":6h1i3e2g said:
Best to be aware, however, that after all is said and done ... your seat-tube diameter will subsequently be slightly larger ... so you just may need to go up a smidge or two in seat-post size as well.

:idea:

Only if you’ve followed the bad advice on here and gone at your seattube with a half round file...

You don’t have to “go at it” to clean off the odd burrs and bits of corrosion you’re aiming to remove. Gently does it, feeling for rough bits as you go, but unless you’re an idiot you’re unlikely to do any significant damage to a steel frame. Taking enough metal off to go up a size is going to take a lot of commitment.

Aluminium is possibly a different matter, and to be fair I wouldn’t know as I’ve never needed to do this job to an aluminium frame. I’ve done it to lots of steel frames though, it’s a totally sensible approach and works well.

Seems to me that a simple job is getting over complicated here. Personally I value my fingers and eyes (and ears) so attaching a length of wire to an electric drill (etc) is something I avoid if there’s a simpler, safer solution. If you mess up you can do a lot of damage quickly with power tools.

Obviously there’s more than one way to skin a cat, so whatever.

Yes but 'Rockford Files'...

Da daa dadadadaaaa dadadada dad dad dad daaaa!

Der der der der dud dud uddle dud dud der!

Back