Best way to smooth the inside of a seat tube

I use a half round file then wet and dry wrapped around it. Keeping it upside down so bits fall out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRIFqasCOSg&t=131s

By far the best way to go about it.

I use a mudguard stay that I've cut down on one side so one side is the full length and one side is about an inch long, I can tuck rags, scothbrite pads or abrasive papers into it depending on what I want to do. It won't quite reach all the way down to the bottom but it tends to be long enough to cover the portion of the seattube that you're actually using.

Re:

Best to be aware, however, that after all is said and done ... your seat-tube diameter will subsequently be slightly larger ... so you just may need to go up a smidge or two in seat-post size as well.

:idea:

Re: Re:

k-rod":1z341b7b said:
Best to be aware, however, that after all is said and done ... your seat-tube diameter will subsequently be slightly larger ... so you just may need to go up a smidge or two in seat-post size as well.

:idea:

Not ime. Shouldn’t really need to remove that much metal to clean things up. Not impossible but...

Re:

You need a piece of dowel approx 600mm x 12mm dia , a strip of 25mm wide emery cloth ( medium grit ) and an electric drill

Cut a slot in the end of the dowel to accept the emery cloth and wind a short length ( 150mm ) onto the end

Fit the dowel into the drill chuck and insert your home made 'flap wheel' into the seat tube - switch on !

You can then use the dowel as a rotary file , pressing against areas of known corrosion or simply increase the drill speed
to open up the ' flap wheel ' and give an even finish all round

You could use ordinary aluminium oxide abrasive sheets , but the fabric backed emery cloth is much stronger/better

Back