Retro mtb "collectors"

Re: Re:

:LOL:
CassidyAce":2ajbd893 said:
The History Man":2ajbd893 said:
A question for those interested: What is your prized possession? Don't think too hard, first thing that springs to mind. Not necessarily the 'right' thing reached after a longer think.

My cat (although he would dispute the issue of ownership). Each day, I come home, look at him and think 'you are the most sensible creature I've met all day'.

10 years with a local recycling centre nearby meant it was a cheap way of collecting 'stuff', carboot sales were and still are a goldmine of interesting things, I've been attending them for some 35 years

Anyone who has seen my shed will know what I have - each category has its serious collectors, websites and fanatics

I can bore the pants off anyone about any of these

Bikes

Car stereos

Sony Walkman

Sony Shortwave radios

HiFi

Synthesizers

Lego

Re:

That’s a great article, thanks for sharing. It makes me feel a lot better about the collection of bikes and parts in my garage, ha ha.

Re:

A load of old shi1te as my Mrs would call it

For me it’s Helmets / Troy Lee Designs and interesting things

To me there’s a (subtle) difference between having a collection and being a collector. You can amass a collection without consciously trying to, whereas a collector actively seeks out their collection.

Example. I used to have a huge video game collection because every time a new console came out, I kept the old ones. After 20 years of gaming (hoarding?) I had a massive collection. However, I wasn’t going out seeking out old games for previous consoles. To me, that differentiated me from a collector.
Also, I had no qualms about getting rid of the collection to help fund my last Whistler trip!

With bikes it’s the same. I have 6 bikes of different types (at the moment), but I don’t spend time looking for others. I just buy and sell along as my fancies change.

clubby":1dlzxrzn said:
To me there’s a (subtle) difference between having a collection and being a collector. You can amass a collection without consciously trying to, whereas a collector actively seeks out their collection.

With bikes it’s the same. I have 6 bikes of different types (at the moment), but I don’t spend time looking for others. I just buy and sell along as my fancies change.

Similar to me.
I've nearly collected everything that I set out to collect for my collection, and I'm genuinely interested to see what I'll do after that.
If I continue with bikes, I think I will collect items that I might like to have in my ownership for a while but will not mind passing on - so I'll collect them, but they won't be for my collection...

The History Man":3jwayh70 said:
A question for those interested: What is your prized possession? Don't think too hard, first thing that springs to mind. Not necessarily the 'right' thing reached after a longer think.

The motor from my grandmother's wind-up gramophone player. A fantastic piece of engineering!

The History Man":2ukr87ik said:

My motorbike.

The History Man":1hld6mcf said:

Nothing, its all on the internet

Back