Retro mtb "collectors"

Re:

It's a well observed piece of writing.

I wouldn't consider myself a bike collector and, in fact, I'm a bit suspicious of 'collecting', no matter what is being collected. (Still got my mind set on a StumpJumper for next year though. :? :oops: )

Re:

Jean paul Satre would probably look at this as "filling up our time" to hide the meaningless of our existance :D in this world. I think that you could define yourself as a collector when your amongst those attending a boot sale 7am :roll: . We humans do like to categorise ourselves within something, maybe to feel part of it. With the internet, this makes it more easily possible. I've collected quite a diverse range of "stuff" mostly... learning from these artifacts, but also to sell on. As the article mentions, the wierdness of some collecting, such as bottle caps. I found out from selling, that people collect calculators, old computer microchips, spray paint cans. Never quite understood this type of collecting as you can never really use these items in the same way you can use old video games or records, bikes even...

I never wanted to be, but I think this passage has me down to a T.... :facepalm:

As a bit of an ‘off piste’ collecting example, imagine having 5 very special champagne glasses when you know that there should be 6 in the set. An intense global e-search ensues, and whilst looking for that elusive glass, you learn about, find and indeed buy, more ‘special’ champagne glasses. Eventually, you find that 6th glass to complete the set, but actually, it’s only a temporary reprieve because you now know so much more about the subject and the collection is getting bigger. Before you know it, you have a whole wall in the siting room that has been specially shelved to display your collection of champagne glasses. You entertain your guests with the stories of vintage glassware designed specifically for drinking champagne. It becomes a bit ‘boring but true’, and because you have amassed such a vast range of knowledge, which is waaaaaaaaaay beyond those original 5 champagne glasses, you now have become some way to becoming an expert-collector.

I place the blame squarely at the feet of this community, you didn’t help me, you fed me...... :D

I am a collector.

Bikes, guitars, coins, vinyl, stationery, shiny things, historical artefacts. These are just the things i have retained long-term.

And, of course, dreams and memories.

My string collection is endless.

A question for those interested: What is your prized possession? Don't think too hard, first thing that springs to mind. Not necessarily the 'right' thing reached after a longer think.

The History Man":3ngpss09 said:
A question for those interested: What is your prized possession? Don't think too hard, first thing that springs to mind. Not necessarily the 'right' thing reached after a longer think.

My fathers tools

Re:

The History Man":1uwmxor2 said:

My cat (although he would dispute the issue of ownership). Each day, I come home, look at him and think 'you are the most sensible creature I've met all day'.

Back