New axle cones LX HB-M563

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Going over a nice pair of wheels earmarked for my next clockwork build... one of the cones is in an awful state. Loads of swarf in there... cups look fine though.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for replacement or is it a case of measure carefully and search the parts bin for something generic that fits?

Attachments

• 154CB2D3-5336-4733-9C94-145DA168F006.jpeg
    154CB2D3-5336-4733-9C94-145DA168F006.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 429
They were available separately from Shimano. I have a bag full of cone and axle kits somewhere in the garage.

FMJ":3hi8fcg7 said:
They were available separately from Shimano. I have a bag full of cone and axle kits somewhere in the garage.

Ooh... well, if you can be bothered to have a look that would be great. But the SJS (alivio) ones look just right and are cheap enough to gamble on...

Maybe I’ll strip the back hub before I order though.

Ok small update... on closer inspection I reckon the Alivio ones linked above aren’t going to work - too shallow by a couple of mm.

Did a bit of research and it seems that the original Shimano cones (Y21R98030) are discontinued, but Wheels Manufacturing make an equivalent (CN-R099), albeit pricy.

I managed to track down a replacement axle set (21R 9802), from cyclebasket.com, it’s apparently their last one so fingers crossed...

The rear also needs a new cone. SJS had one that looks to be the right part, they’re different on both sides, but again fingers crossed that Y3AE03000 is the right one, as I’ve gone ahead and ordered it.

They’re going to end up an expensive pair of cheap wheels... so it goes... but you’d think I’d have learned by now. After all this effort and expense I hope they turn out smooth, the cups have some light wear but I reckon they’re ok.

Late to the party, but I think the STX-RC hubs are the same - I have most certainly mixed and matched hub internals.

Back