Commencal... Is that a thing here ? and 2006 Santa Cruz ?

zav

Dirt Disciple
Hello.... massive fan of Commencal when the brand was set up after Max's departure from Sunn and when they promised they would not du a full suspension unless it worked... ( they did few years later and they did not work ;)

Got 2 early days Flame bikes - their high end cross country / marathon spec bike from 2000 and 2002. First one has number 103 on the frame - i.e. 103rd frame badge. Loved the 2000 model so much ended up buying the same in 2002 with slightly higher specs. never sold...

Is that a brand that has followers among the Retrobike crowd or too mainstream ?

Also re building my Santa Cruz Blur XC 2006, is that sort of stuff people look at ?

Cheers

Mainstream?? My brother was first sponsored by Sunn (when Max was still there) and later by Commençal. I loved both Sunn and Commençal bikes. They were just fantastic, looked very aggressive. I suppose Commençal isn't popular here as he started when steel was "out" for mountainbikes. Sunn isn't that "hot" here either and that's a shame.

We love all (most) bikes on here, get some pics up of your bikes over in the +98 section :D

Mark

Unfortunately the shop I worked at for a while called them 'Commencan-fail' due to the many 'just riding along when...' frame failure claims

Hmmm had 2 flame and ridden them a lot from 2000-2008 and yes one of the first one cracked ( and got replaced presto ) but 2nd one been running great ever since...

Re:

Yeah, just too new for this forum.

Early Meta's had an issue with the frames, little things like stopping the weld at sharp edges of shock mounts and gussets etc caused stress raisers and saw them fail.

I'm a big fan of the brand, ran a '10 Meta 55 for a few years, replaced it with a '14 650b Meta AM V3 that has been replaced with a '19 Meta 29 AM.

Lovely bikes.

I like the bran, I own a 2016 Meta HT and it is a very nice bicycle, lot of funn riding it. Their bicycles have something special, they are not boring bicycles.

Latest posts

Back