Old Suspension Forks, should i be concerned?

Klang180

Retro Newbie
Hello, I have a 98 GT Arrowhead with 97-98ish Rock Shox Judy XC. This may not quite qualify them as retro according to this site but i hope you'll forgive me. I have always kept the bike in pretty good condition and have ridden it weekly since it's purchase pretty much. I recently converted it to an electric bike with the accompanying weight that goes with it and now i am scared stiff that the stanchions or the headset will snap and I will end up braking with my teeth! Can anyone provide any reassurance or otherwise as to the strength of old shocks? They are soft but aside from that still have a nice, plush action but will they be up to it? I am using disc brakes now whereas they were used with Vs for the past 20years will that have any effect?

Essentially I am asking what should I be looking out for given that I am riding a 20year old bike with a 90kg rider and about 7-8kg of extra load in the form of a battery and motor?

Thanks so much for any and all input you can provide.

Klang180":239ul4wx said:
Essentially I am asking what should I be looking out for given that I am riding a 20year old bike with a 90kg rider and about 7-8kg of extra load in the form of a family sized beef and ale pie and a 4-pack of Stella

I think you'll find that description matches the vast majority of riders on here :LOL:
I wouldn't worry.

Supratada":12268nu4 said:
Howay man. You could put on that weight in a few months of comfort eating.
It’ll be fine.

That is very true and don't worry I am well on my way. Just feels so different now with the added weight that it has me worried! That and i haven't touched the headset in years although it stills moves fine and has no play so why should i really?

jimo746":3fmfxlh2 said:
Klang180":3fmfxlh2 said:
Essentially I am asking what should I be looking out for given that I am riding a 20year old bike with a 90kg rider and about 7-8kg of extra load in the form of a family sized beef and ale pie and a 4-pack of Stella

I think you'll find that description matches the vast majority of riders on here :LOL:
I wouldn't worry.

Love it, nice one thanks for making me feel better. I love my old bike and don't want to get rid of it but i also rather like my front teeth so didn't want to take the chance. This makes me feel much better though so thanks.

Re:

installing an electric motor on your bike is hardly the fastest way of losing any unwanted (middle-age?) pounds ....

;)

Is it a front wheel motor? If so, then the extra unsprung weight will play havoc with the fork's setup and you may well be better off with rigid.
If it's on the back I wouldn't worry, apart from the good advice above on a service and the usual one about check the crown occasionally for cracks. I wouldn't fit one to a tandem but you should be completely fine.

Re: Re:

k-rod":2bmsjtip said:
installing an electric motor on your bike is hardly the fastest way of losing any unwanted (middle-age?) pounds ....

;)

Haha thanks but I am not trying to shift extra pounds and actually i find myself using my bike where i would have used a car so maybe it will help after all?

Back